The Fall of the Prison

"Your memory feels like home to me. So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds it's way back to you." 

- Ranata Suzuki

Daryl looked at Rick pointedly, still in utter disbelief that he allowed Carol to leave - no, that he kicked Carol out. What she did might've been brutal, might've been harsh, but it could potentially be the one reason that they're all still standing right now. "But that ain't her!" he grounded out, pacing back and forth. That wasn't her. He was struggling to keep his voice down and keep his shit together. 

It shouldn't matter what Carol did, she should still be here with them. 

If Carol was here right now, she would be comforting him, reassuring him that Aliya would be fine. But she's not. His eyes looked down at the cell where Aliya laid, still unconscious. Like she has been for the past few days. She should be awake right now, elbowing him, stopping him from arguing with Rick. But she's not. 

He caressed his chin roughly, halfheartedly nodding at what Rick has said. He was too distracted by the lack of Aliya's presence in his arm's reach. And just to make matters worse, now, they had to face Tyreese and tell him who really killed Karen and David. He really needed Aliya's smart-mouth and support right now. 

'You can take Tyreese, I'll hug his legs and you sucker punch him in the face.'

She would've been serious as a heart attack too. She would genuinely hug Tyreese's legs in order for him to be able to take him down. So violent. He looked longingly at the cell where she laid before picking up a flashlight, walking side by side with Rick deep into the tombs. There was a thick tension in the air, both men obviously preparing themselves for the confrontation. 

"You guys got to see this!" 

They both jumped when Tyreese came out of nowhere. He was breathing raggedly as if he has also been weaving through the prison to find them. His eyes were wide, shocked by what he just discovered. Rick tried to tell Tyreese that they needed to talk only to be dismissed by him. Whatever Rick had to tell him, Tyreese felt that it could wait. 

With Daryl and Rick in tow, Tyreese pointed at the rodent, taped into the metal door, open-bellied. It's belly was hollowed out and its head turned to the side, evidence of pain and struggle. Daryl was used to seeing carcasses as a hunter but never a tortured animal. He grimaced as he took a closer look. Whoever did this was angry. 

Carol wouldn't have done this, so Tyreese's hypothesis that whoever did this was the one who killed Karen and David, was wrong. Rick looked at Daryl for support, "Whoever did this, I don't think that's who killed Karen." he shook his head. Tyreese looked at him accusingly, he was speaking as though he knew who did it already. He furrowed his brows, "Why?" he looked at Rick expectedly. 

Rick opened his mouth to speak when an explosion made them run in to its direction. Daryl was running towards Aliya's cell when Rick's arm shot up to his forearm, "Aliya's going nowhere." he tugged on him. Daryl was about to shrug it off when Rick's pointed look convinced him otherwise. He sighed and took one last look at Aliya's cell before running towards the field.