When The Bond Gets Stronger

"When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching–they are your family." 

- Jim Butcher

Her eyes narrowed at Arden who was giving her a teasing smile. He caught her watching the kids play around with a huge grin in her face which fell when he came into view. She rolled her eyes, "Stop looking at me like that." He pouted, keeping his laughter in before being slightly jabbed by her elbow. "It's not bad to admit that they're growing on you." The kids seemed to notice that they were being watched so they looked at their direction, waving with huge smiles on their faces. 

The side of her lips lifted as she unconsciously waved back, making his brow lift up. "Someone's excited." He mumbled, teasing her once again. "And you're slowly growing on my nerves, Arden." He smiled at her before ruffling her hair, "Could've fooled me, Aliya." She felt heat on her face as she remembered the incident last week. "It was an accident." It surprised him to see her that embarrassed and red that he couldn't help but lift her head up so they were face-to-face. 

She swatted his hand away, "Shut up." Bumping her shoulder against his, she made her way into the kitchen to see what Vincent was cooking up. Meredith was up on the roof, looking over the kids as well as the perimeter. "Oh hey!" Vincent acknowledged her presence as soon as she came into view, "Hey pops." He made a face at the nickname, making her geek out. "Pops make me look like I have grand babies." She just shrugged at his sulking before getting a bottle of water. 

"I'll just go give mamas some water." That made a smile creep up his face, finding the nickname that she gave his wife adorable, "Thanks kid." She chuckled at his petty nickname  before grunting her way up to the roof. She cleared her throat so as to not surprise Meredith who looked back at her and lifted her brows in greeting. She lifted the water bottle in response, "Got you some water." Smiling at Aliya, Meredith tapped the lawn chair next to her, encouraging Aliya to sit beside her. 

She let Meredith finish drinking the water before asking, "So, what's the sitch?" Meredith sighed before clearing her throat, "Nothing out of the ordinary. The cabin is in a perfect location, we're very secluded." She couldn't agree more. They were in such a beautiful and secure cabin that it was almost too beautiful, too perfect that the mere idea of losing it brings pain to her heart. "We hope it stays that way." Aliya hoped, looking far into the distant setting sun. 

==+==

The sun was glaring down on them, making her squint her eyes as she looked around, checking to see if they were safe. "It's clear." Vincent nodded at her before making his way into the store, leaving Aliya to guard the car with a rifle in tow. With more mouths to feed, the demand for supplies has become greater. And with the fear of another incident like the last time Aliya went alone, and the fear that the people who attacked Vincent's group lurking somewhere near, they have developed a buddy system.