Bisquick and Pancakes

"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." 

- George A. Moore

Ever since she could remember, Aliya has never allowed herself to sleep in. It just felt irresponsible and made her feel guilty for being lazy. But when she opened her eyes and saw that it was dim outside, she couldn't help but feel at ease. Daryl's side of the bed felt cold to the touch, letting her know that he has since long left the bed. Good for him. 

She sat up slowly and rested her back on the headboard, rubbing sleep out of her eyes. Even though she has slept in considerably, she still felt a little bit tired and worn out. Slightly falling to her side as if to fall back asleep, she noticed a glass full of water on her bedside table. Aliya smiled and reached for it, gulping it in one go. Daryl must've left it for her since she would always drink water first thing in the morning. 

It's good for your gut. 

Today was Daryl and Rick's supply run. Food and other supplies have been running low ever since the place got overrun the other day. Some of the door that weren't caught on fire were trampled on by walkers, deeming them unsafe to eat. With a baby on their hands, they desperately needed more nutrients in their bodies. Plus, their medical supplies were depleting quick. 

Aliya groaned and jumped out of bed, heading straight to the bathroom. As images of the night that went down flooded her brain, she thought of Maggie. It was obvious that Deanna has taken Maggie under her wing and that the two shared a special bond - mutual respect towards each other. Her death was a punch to the gut and even though Aliya hasn't talked to her as much as the others have, she has always appreciated Deanna's welcoming warmth. 

Luckily, as soon as she left their room, Maggie's familiar figure sat at the porch as she looked over at Alexandria. Aliya quietly rubbed her arms up and down as she made her way towards her. "Hey..." Aliya softly greeted, slightly bumping arms with Maggie as a greeting. Maggie looked over to her and gave her a smile, "Hey. Slept good?" Maggie greeted back, smiling as she noticed the faint blush on her cheek. 

Aliya nodded as she followed Maggie's gaze to see the names being written on the gates. "How are we feeling?" 

Maggie cleared her throat and licked her dry lips, "Gutted. It all just happened so fast." she confessed, her eyes glistening with tears. It was like a whirlwind. Getting caught up in the middle of the herd while others screamed for help, their arms reaching out to them but too far to help. Both the living and the dead were reaching for them like a sick joke. Aliya sighed and nodded in sympathy, "I'm sorry we didn't get here sooner." 

"Don't." Maggie shook her head, "It's not any of you guys' fault." she said rather sharply. 

Maggie took a step back in order to face Aliya, "How about you? How are you feeling?" she asked as her eyes searched Aliya's face. Aliya might not know this but Maggie saw her go down in that herd and hearing Daryl's screams for Aliya made her fear for the worst. Aliya shrugged, "I'm feeling..." she trailed off, looking for the right word.