The Captain and The Governor

"Grief. The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal." 

- C.S. Lewis 

She had been sitting in the car, gripping the steering wheel tight for a while now. She had just finished burying Gab in an unmarked grave an hour ago. Unlike his aunt Stella and his brother Jeremy, he would be forgotten, just an indent on the ground that only insects will notice. 

Daylight was starting to burn out and she was still a long way from Camellia. She had no choice but to wait the dark out, driving without headlights is an invitation for a crash, driving with them is an invitation for an attack. 

Picking up her radio, she called on, "Arden?" she held her lips against the speaker, "Aliya? Are you almost here?" He has been looking at his radio the whole day, just waiting for the static to clear. "I'll have to wait the dark out." she sighed out, knowing that it will make all of them worry. 

"What? I can get to you! Where are you right now?" 

She closed her eyes and slightly banged her forehead on the steering wheel, "I'll be there by mid-day." It was no debate. She made a reckless decision, a stupid decision, and like before, she will always take responsibility for it herself. Always. 

She might not admit it but she liked dancing with death. 

----

Katy stared at Arden who had his head hung low, the radio pressed against his trembling lips. She understood how Aliya was, how she was self-destructive just like her. That's why she would always support Aliya's decisions no matter what. 

Katy will live out her desires through her. 

----

Aliya silently watched the sun get swallowed by the ground and pressed the radio once the darkness rose. "I'm just a few hours away. I'll  get some shut eye and drive back once I'm awake." She could already see Arden's unimpressed and disappointed face, Cecil's worried frown, Katy's understanding stare and Kiefer shaking his head. 

She locked her doors and reclined her seat, ready to get some much needed shut-eye when a bright orange-red glow demanded her attention. She took her gun from the glovebox and held her knife near her thigh. She thought about ignoring it, that maybe if she acted like it didn't exist, it would just disappear. 

She turned to her right and closed her eyes and lulled herself to sleep when she heard loud voices. She sprang up from her seat, looking around wildly before her gaze found itself on the orange embers. The bonfire bothered her, it bothered her that there were strangers just a few feet away from her.