The Rescue

"Rescue the drowning and tie your shoestrings." 

- Henry David Thoreau

It was a bittersweet feeling. Being rescued by total strangers from other strangers. 

Her eyes never left the angel wings on the man's vest as they ran through the hallways and into an open road. She was tempted to look around, to know how her prison really looked like. But she decided against it, crouching down and jogging to catch up with them. 

They crossed the road undetected and opened the first door that they found. The man with the crossbow quickly kicked the doors open, dragging her inside and carelessly throwing her in once he assured that it was safe. The couple that was with her collapsed to the ground as she dragged herself further into the corner, her eyes glancing around wildly. 

The doors shut, making her jump in her seat. She fisted the jacket that she was wearing and watched the group flow into motion. 

"Rick! How did you find us?" 

Aliya's eyes looked at the man that they called Rick and stilled. Rick looked at the couple, ignoring the question, "How badly is he hurt?" he paced around, looking for a way out. The man grunted, "I'll be alright." he winced as he cradled his stomach, his face crumpling in pain. 

The woman held onto the man's hand as she looked around, looking for something. "Where's that woman?" she asked. Rick looked back at all of them, surveying everything and everybody, "She was just behind us." he answered, crouching down to lift the cloth covering the windows and peer outside. 

"No, the other one!" 

Rick looked back at the woman in confusion before his eyes locked in on Aliya. Hearing them acknowledge her doubled the fear the she was already feeling. Everybody's attention zoomed in on her, the realisation that they were hiding with a stranger rang alarm bells in their heads. 

A clicking of a gun and heavy footsteps made Aliya close her eyes and tighten her hold on herself. The footsteps grew louder and closer and she could only imagine that they were all silently watching her would-be execution. 

She gulped as she felt the air shift around her. "Hey." a gruff voice demanded. Aliya opened her eyes and was immediately met by Rick's. He was crouched down to her level, his eyes travelling all over her face, "You one of them?" his question was confronting, his tone scathing with accusation, and it enraged Aliya. 

Her eyes hardened as she stared back at him, "No." her voice was so cold and full of hatred that the man with the crossbow stopped pacing to look at her. Rick didn't react nor did he say anything because he knows there was no need to. His eyes have found her tied wrists and immediately understood. Wordlessly, he took his knife and cut her ties off.