The Accident

"What brings us to tears, will lead us to grace. Our pain is never wasted." 

- Bob Goff

There was still a question lingering in Aliya's mind. Something she thinks she needs answers now more than ever. And so she tapped Daryl on his shoulder and nodded at Karen's direction, "Just gotta do something real quick." she explained. Daryl looked at her face, observing her reaction before nodding, "I'll be here." he reassured her. Something she badly needs. 

She smiled slightly at Daryl before turning around to jog towards Karen. She was a bit shocked at Aliya's arrival but immediately recovered with a smile, "Hi Aliya!" she greeted with a bit of curiosity. Aliya nodded, "Hey, Karen." she greeted back politely. "I just wanted to ask something really quick." she nodded at the older woman who stared at her with hesitance. 

Karen reassured the woman and called on Tyreese to take her position for a while. Aliya pulled her aside and blew a nervous breath. "Do you know Vincent and Meredith?" she asked, hopeful and naively expectant. Karen's brows furrowed. How does she know them? "H-how do you know them?" she wondered. Aliya frowned at her reaction, "We stayed together for a while, a few months back." she explained. 

She shook her head at Aliya, "That can't be. They were with us since the beginning and they suddenly went missing." 

They were one of the first families in Woodbury. They've been there ever since the dead started walking. It was a huge ordeal when they suddenly stopped showing up in their respective jobs and classes. The same hour everybody noticed they were missing, the governor launched a searching team. They only stopped when Ezekiel came back from his run and talked to the governor. 

"So Ezekiel didn't come back with them?" 

Karen's head throbbed, "Ezekiel found them?" she asked breathlessly. Ezekiel came back from his run and immediately asked the governor to talk. After that talk, all efforts to search for the family was ceased. The governor only gave them a vague answer. 

It was no doubt that Ezekiel did something to the family along the way. It might even be that the governor ordered for their deaths and not a rescue at all. They both separated with heavy hearts. 

Aliya walked towards Daryl and sighed as she climbed on his bike. Daryl was watching her and reached out his hand to assist her on. She squeezed his hand firmly before wrapping her arms around his torso. Daryl's rough hand pulled on hers, "You're hurtin' me." he gruffly complained, making her immediately let go. 

Daryl immediately reacted, looking back at her and her arms expectedly. He only meant for her to loosen her hold on him and not let go entirely. With a frown, he pulled on her arm and gently coiled it around his torso. 

"I'm sorry." she muttered as she gently embraced him. He could feel her erratic heart, making him chuckle lowly. "Relax." he coaxed, tapping her hands a bit. It was amusing how much he could affect her. Even more amusing how she doesn't realise how much she affects him too.