1.2 the sorting ceremony

Y/N's pov ϟ

I walked into the Great Hall, my jaw practically on the floor. It was the most beautiful place that I have ever seen in my life. I looked up, expecting a roof but was pleasantly surprised by the calm night sky.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." Hermione whispered into my ear.

A woman, who introduced herself as Professor McGonagall, stood on the steps leading up to the teachers' dining table holding a script and an old brown hat.

I could hear her whispering to herself as she walked up to the sorting hat.

"Mental that one, I'm telling you." Ron whispered to Harry and me.

Harry nodded in agreement while I just stood there. Sure, she could be a little annoying sometimes, but I wouldn't call her mental.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

The Gryffindor table cheered as she walked over and sat down.

Harry and Ron were after Hermione, both sorted into Gryffindor.

"Y/N Tipnesse," McGonagall called as I walked up to the sorting hat and sat down, my palms sweaty and eyes closed.

Secretly, I hoped I would be sorted into Gryffindor to be with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They were my only friends after being at Hogwarts for a couple of hours.

"Hm..." the sorting hat mulled as it talked to me, "Ms. Tipnesse, you have the bravery of a Gryffindor, intelligence of a Ravenclaw, loyalty of a Hufflepuff, and resourcefulness of a Slytherin. Where should I put you?"

"Gryffindor," I whispered in my head, hoping the hat would catch it. "I want to be in Gryffindor."

"Alright," the hat chuckled, "GRYFFINDOR!"

I opened my eyes to see the Gryffindor table erupting in cheers. I smiled and ran over to sit next to Hermione.

"This is amazing! What's the coincidence that we are all Gryffindors!" Hermione laughed as people continued to be sorted into their respective houses.

I beamed at her and made eye contact with Harry, who then turned pink and quickly looked down at his empty plate.

All I thought about was how excited I was to spend the next seven years here.

A/N: hello!! the next chapter will be a time skip for years 1-2. the story will officially begin with year 3: poa. i'm so excited :)