5.4 professor umbridge

Y/N's pov ϟ

I sat next to Harry happily, pulling out my quill. 

"You look nice today," Harry said, smiling at me.

"So do you." I reached up to fix his hair. "You know, you should brush your hair more than once in the morning, Harry."

"My hair is short anyways. Did you prefer my long hair or the one I have now?" Harry asked, a playful glint in his eyes.

"I liked both," I said, my face close to his. 

"I do prefer this one tho," I jokingly winked.

Butterflies filled my stomach as Harry looked at my lips. I playfully pushed him away and shook my head.

"You must be crazy," I said as a grin formed on my face.

"Why?" Harry asked innocently as he titled his head. "What did I do?"

"Shut up, Harry," I laughed as I nudged him in the shoulder. Our attention was diverted at Pavarti Patil as she turned a paper airplane into a bird, making it fly around the class.

"Go on, Seamus! Hit it!" Dean called as Seamus slapped the bird, making it fly higher in the classroom. The entire class watched with smiles on our faces as Crabbe stood up, hitting the bird with his pencil.

The bird suddenly caught fire and the piles of ashes landed on the Patil twins' desk. We turned around towards the back of the classroom to see Professor Umbridge's wand raised as she wore a triumphant grin.

"Good morning, children," Professor Umbridge called out as she walked towards the front of the classroom. She waved her wand as the chalk picked itself up and began writing on the blackboard.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O - W - Ls! More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe."

I heard multiple students gulp as Professor Umbridge waved her wand once again. The books on her desk flew out, one landing in front of every student. 

I picked it up and read the title, Dart Arts Defense: Basic for Beginners. I opened the book and flipped through it. The textbook was filled with information that we learned in our first year.

Harry gave me a confused look as I returned it. We looked up at Professor Umbridge who had the same evil grin on her face as she continued.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know that from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic," Umbridge giggled before turning towards Hermione. "Yes?"

I looked towards my right to see Hermione raising her hand. She cleared her throat before speaking up.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

"Using spells?" Professor Umbridge giggled loudly. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not gonna use magic?" I asked, a frown appearing on my face.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Professor Umbridge looked at me with surprise. "Ah, Ms. Tipnesse. Am I right?"

I looked at her with confusion before nodding slowly.

"Your father is a close friend of mine. Very Ministry-oriented," Umbridge giggled at me as I started frowning at her.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free," Harry spoke up before I could say anything else.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," Umbridge glared at Harry before turning around to walk in front of the classroom.