Chapter 27

Chapter 27 is dedicated to celesteknight0

Thank you for your support ❤
--------------------------------------------------------

“Betrothed?” I paled. “This is the first time I’m hearing about any of this. It has to be a mistake.”

The king stood up and walked to the window and looked out. “There is no mistake. Tell me, do you remember anything before the age of six?”

I frowned. How did he know about that? The only persons who knew about my memory loss were my parents and my best friends.

“I’ll take it that you don’t. Ashton was supposed to explain this to you.”

Ashton glared at me. “You don’t remember anything before you turned six?”

I shook my head, still confused.

He stiffened and his eyes narrowed. “Why the hell didn’t you tell me that?”

“You didn’t ask,” I defended. “And it would have been weird if you did.”

“I didn’t know you had memory loss!”

“It’s not something I tell everyone. You didn’t tell me you were the prince either.”

He ran an exasperated hand through his hair and turned to the king. “This doesn’t prove anything.” he stated hotly.

“Are you saying it’s a coincidence?”

“I’m saying it doesn’t prove that she’s the girl you’re looking for.”

“You’re right,” the king admitted, but his calm expression made me uneasy. He turned to me. “It doesn’t prove that. But she is the girl we’re looking for. You’ve seen the bracelet, haven’t you?”

Ashton paled and I instinctively touched my bag at the sound of my bracelet. I always carried it with me, but I only wore it on special occasions.

The king extended his palm to me. “The bracelet, please.”

I stared at him in shock and then glanced at the queen who nodded reassuringly at me. I removed the bracelet from my bag and carefully handed it to the king. A large smile spread across his face as he turned it over in his hands.

“Yes. This is proof enough.”

“It’s nothing more than a copy,” Ashton sneered.

“Is there something important about my bracelet?” I asked the king.

He nodded. “This is more than just a jewelry item.”

“It’s a good luck charm for me,” I explained. “My parents said I was wearing that when they found me in the accident.”

The king nodded. “It was your mother’s.”

“Your majesty,” Ashton pressed. He was standing up now.

The king ignored him. “I know it’s you, Elizabeth. I’ve been keeping an eye on you.”

Okay? Let me just pretend that didn’t sound weird. Why would the king be keeping an eye on me? What did he even mean by that? And how did he know that the bracelet belonged to my mom?

“You see, Elizabeth. I was there the night they found you.”

Both Ashton and the queen looked surprised at this. I was surprised too. Was he talking about the accident I was in?

“I got word that there was going to be an attack on you and your mother. I ended up getting to the scene too late, but you were still alive. I made sure that you got to the hospital in time.”