Chapter 45

Chapter 45 is dedicated to tiahnj

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

"Where is everyone else?"

Noah looked confused at my question. "Who else is supposed to be here?"

"I thought we were going to hang out with everyone again."

He chuckled. "What gave you that idea?"

"Last time, everyone was here. And it was fun."

"Well, this time, I just want to be with you. Only you."

"Aw," I said, nudging his shoulder with mine. "Just like old times."
-----------------------------------------------------------
After dinner, we went out for a stroll on the boardwalk. It was night now and the nearly round moon reflected on the surface of calm, navy water. The small waves were more like ripples and splashed playfully against the sand.

This was the one good thing about not having a cold winter. We could take walks like this without having to bundle up, although I was wearing a cardigan now.

There were very few people on the beach now. Warm lights shone from the restaurants and other bustling business places that were still open.

Noah drummed along the edge of his camera and judging by the rhythm, he was nervous. He frowned absent-mindedly as we stepped onto the pier. He was a bit jittery during dinner too. Maybe he didn't like the seafood? I thought the salmon tasted great.

"What's wrong?"

He looked up as my voice nudged him out of his thoughts.

"Nothing... It's just..." he trailed off.

"Why don't I guess then," I tapped my chin. "You're thinking of how in fifty years, instead of colorizing photos, we'll be removing filters."

He cocked his head. "What?"

"Don't tell me that wasn't what you're thinking," I groaned.

"It wasn't even close. But now I can't stop thinking about it."

"Hey, tell me what's on your mind," I giggled, stepping in front of him.

He looked down at me and a smile tugged at his lips. He looked around the place and nodded. "Stay right there."

He raised his camera and took a picture. It was actually beautiful. The sky was laced with stars that shone like little pearls behind me.

"You really are a great photographer," I complimented.

"You're my greatest muse. Believe me."

"Now will you tell me what's been on your mind all evening?"

He didn't answer, but instead took my hand in his and continued walking.

"Elizabeth..." He turned to me with a serious expression and took my other hand in his. "I have something to tell you."

I became serious too. He rarely ever used my first name.

"You can tell me anything, Noe," I encouraged.

He hesitated for a second and then closed the distance between us. "Elizabeth, I've been wanting to tell you this for a really long time. The reason I came back to Crysauralia is because I really li-"

Whatever he was about to say was cut off by the sound of my phone ringing. I glanced at my bag, unsure as to whether I should answer or not.

"Answer it," he sighed.

I gave him an apologetic smile and slipped my hand out of his to get my phone. The ringing blared through the silent night as I tried to wrestle the phone out of my purse.

I glanced at the caller ID. It was Ashton. I placed a hand to my chest to steady my heart beat. What if this was about the bracelet? Was he calling to tell me the results? I didn't feel ready to hear it so suddenly.

"Are you okay?" Noah asked as I focused on breathing in and out. He glanced at my phone and a frown crossed his features.
"What does he want?"

I bit my lip and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Elizabeth... the investigation is complete."

I let out a shaky breath. "And?"

"They're sending the results tomorrow. You can come look at it if you want."

I hesitated for a moment and nodded. Then I remembered that he couldn't see me.

"Yeah... I'll come over."

Noah stiffened beside me.

"Kevin will pick you up," Ashton continued.

"Okay."

There was a pause and then a click as the call ended. Ashton sounded a lot more reserved than usual. I knew he didn't want me to be his betrothed, so he was probably as anxious about the results as I was.

I sighed and Noah turned to me.

"Is something wrong? If he's being rude to you, I swear I'll-"

"No, no," I stopped him. "It's something else. I'm fine."

"Your expression says otherwise," he murmured, taking my hand again. "You've gone pale. What did he want?"

"Uh..." I struggled to find an answer. I couldn't tell him about the investigation. "Umm..."

Noah raised an eyebrow in concern.

"We're umm... we're doing this thing together. It's umm... yeah... complicated."

He stared at me, trying to make sense of what I just said.

"It's nothing to worry about, Noe," I assured him with a small smile.

"I don't trust him," he grumbled.

"He kinda makes it hard to," I admitted with a laugh.

He didn't look too convinced, but decided to drop it.

"What was it you wanted to tell me? I'm all ears now."

"Uh..." he glanced at the water below us. "Maybe another time."

"Are you sure?" I frowned. "It sounded important."

"Don't sweat it, Queen E. I'll definitely make sure I tell you. Believe me."

I grinned and we continued our walk and listened to the soothing lull of the sea.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hey lovelies! Thanks for reading!

There's a reason Noah came back to Crysauralia. What was he about to say to Elizabeth?

The investigation is finished. Is Elizabeth the girl Ashton was betrothed to eleven years ago?

Leave a comment and a vote❤
See you in the next chapter!