Chapter 42

Chapter 42 is dedicated to _little_beankid

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

“That was delicious,” I smiled as I helped my parents clear away the dishes.

Mom smiled, clearly pleased with the new recipe she’d come up with.

I hesitantly hovered between the kitchen and dining room after I’d cleaned the dishes. I couldn’t drag this out any longer. Besides, I was confident that they were my parents. For me to think otherwise just wouldn’t make sense.

I took out my bracelet and slipped it on. The worst that could happen was that my parents would feel heartbroken that I would even question something like this.

“Mom, dad?”

“We’re in the living room,” mom called back.

I walked in and they made space for me on the couch. They were watching the news. The government was calling for a statement from the royal family regarding the crown prince. They wanted to know where the princes were and why they had been gone for so long.

“How can they rule the kingdom properly, if they don’t even live here?” the prime minister seethed. “It’s outrageous!”

If only he knew that the princes were right under his nose. It seemed weird to me that the royal family would just trust me with such a big secret. I wouldn’t tell anyone, but how could they be so sure of that?

I guess me exposing Ashton would only expose our betrothal and that would lead to a more formal engagement. They knew I wanted to avoid that. However, the king’s plan was flawed. I simply was not Elizabeth. I frowned at that though. Me not being Elizabeth meant that he was either lying or he’d make a mistake.

But what were the odds that me and some other six year old girl named Elizabeth who looked like me would have both gotten into unreported accidents on the same night and that we both had a bracelet like this one?

Reasoning it out, that couldn’t be a coincidence. Unless we were twins. I laughed a little at my own deductions. That was even more unlikely.

Dad turned to me. “Is something on your mind, Lizzy? You seemed a bit off during dinner.”

“Uh…”  I glanced between them.

Mom inclined her head in the supportive way she always did to encourage me to say what was on my mind.

“Kind of… It’s really stupid though…”

“Nonsense,” he chuckled. “Let’s hear it. It’s better than listening to the prime minister. It’s obvious that he wants to remove the monarchy just like the Gerevian Kingdom did.”

I played with my bracelet as they stared at me expectantly.

“It’s about that night.” I hesitated as surprise spread across their faces.

The last time I’d asked about the accident was years ago. The doctors had told me that I just wouldn’t be getting my memories back, so I'd just dropped it and focused on my new life.

“What about it?” mom urged me.

“I… This bracelet was yours, wasn’t it?” I asked motioning to it.

Mom nodded. “You had it that night when they found you.”

“Who found me exactly?”

“Someone called an ambulance. It was a very nasty accident. You know that.”