Chapter 80

Chapter 80 is dedicated to all my silent readers. You might not vote or comment, but the fact that you're giving my book a chance means a lot to me!

Thank you for your support ❤
--------------------------------------------------------

After I arrived at Ashton’s house with Kevin, I had to remind myself that I had less than two hours to stay there. I doubt Kevin would be able to get me out of trouble two days in a row… but then again he might be able to...
I shook my head. No, I was not going to push it.

We entered the house after Kevin just pushed the doors open and let himself in. I wasn’t trying to catch a breaking and entering case, but he pulled me in behind him. We walked upstairs and when we got to the third floor, my heart nearly jumped from my chest.

A hooded figure with bright green eyes melted from the shadows. CaVaughn cocked his head at us expressionlessly.

“We came to visit Ashton,” Kevin told him and then glanced hesitantly at the door. “Is he doing any better?”

CaVaughn put down his hood. He had gotten a fade and his silky black hair was done up in a man bun. It highlighted his breathtaking bone structured.

“No.”

I see he had gone back to his one word answers. I smiled and waved at him. “It’s nice to see you again.”

“You too.”

Kevin and I stood there awkwardly. CaVaughn just stared at us. I didn’t think he was feeling the awkwardness that was crushing me and Kevin.

“We’re just gonna…” Kevin said, pointing at the door.

CaVaughn nodded and slipped away into the darkness.

“He’s as interesting as ever,” Kevin remarked as he opened the door.

Inside, Ashton was lying in bed with a damp cloth on his forehead. I felt his temperature. It was slight, but he definitely had a fever.

“The king really did a number on you, huh?” Kevin murmured as he looked at his best friend.

“Do you think I should talk to his father about this?” I asked.

“No, don’t go near him unless it’s absolutely necessary. And even then still don’t go near him. He’s ruthless.”

I ran my fingers along Ashton’s face feeling the familiar tingles. I missed hearing his laugh and his annoying sarcastic remarks. I never thought I would ever say this, but I missed his smirk and his confused face when I talked about books.

After a few minutes, I drew my hand back and gave Kevin a sad smile. “I’ll leave him to get some rest.”

He nodded and we left the house. With my remaining time, I decided to visit Kevin’s parents, but then realized that it was still early and they were at work.

“I’ll show you around,” he suggested as we headed out and then paused with a sigh. “I should have blocked Jackson.”

“Let me guess, meeting?”

Kevin nodded. “I have to go because Jackson and I are Ashton’s second and third in command,” he groaned.

“It’s fine, I understand. Do what you gotta do.”

“I’ll take you back to the house,” he offered, but I shook my head.

“I’m going to see if I can find Micah.”

Kevin looked uncertain at that proposition. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, Micah’s nice.”

“It’s his brother I’m worried about. He has a grudge against us higher ranks and I don’t want him to take it out on you.”