Chapter 47

Chapter 47 is dedicated to Nargles07

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

Just then the doors opened and the king walked in.

“Your majesty,” I mumbled, standing up shakily to do a curtsey.

“Please,” he smiled, placing a hand on my shoulder. “Don’t be so formal, Elizabeth.”

Ashton pulled me away from him angrily. “What do you want?”

“Well,” the king said, ignoring his son’s hostile tone, “Since you’re done running your investigations, we can finally get down to business.”

“You knew about this?”

“Did you really think the forensics lab wouldn’t give me a report?”

Ashton swore under his breath and the king directed his attention to me.

“Are you satisfied with the results?”

“I… I…”

He produced an envelope from his jacket pocket and handed it to me. “If you still have doubts, then this should settle them.”

I took the envelope warily and opened it. It was another report. My lips parted in surprise as I stared at the king.

“You did a DNA test on me?”

“What the hell?” Ashton growled, grabbing the papers from my hand.

“The samples we received from the hospital match those that we have for Elizabeth. This should satisfy you.”

My head instantly felt like it had been left on spin cycle in the wash. I sat down on the couch in utter disbelief and shock that he would go out of his way to do that. Was he even allowed to do that?

He turned to Ashton, his voice smooth and refined. “Now you can assume your responsibilities as you should.”

Ashton crumpled the papers and threw them on the ground. “Can’t you just forget all of this?”

“Can a king forget his responsibilities?”

“I think I need some air,” I said, getting up. “Please excuse me.”

I didn’t wait for his response as I hurriedly walked out the room. I was betrothed to Ashton? This had to be a nightmare. Ashton and I did not get along and honestly, he was the last guy I would even consider getting into a relationship with. I didn’t want to be a part of the royal family.

I didn’t even know where I was going, but I had ended up outside. The rain had stopped, but the trees that I was under were dripping. I took in my surroundings. It looked like I’d ended up in one of the royal gardens.

I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to be there or not. The only people who were supposed to come in contact with me were the ones instructed by the king and queen. No one was to know that the girl betrothed to the prince was here.

I sat down on the thick root of one of the trees. It was dry because it’s huge, ancient branches and heavy bulk of leaves had sheltered it from the downpour. I sighed again, trying to piece my life together.

I was Elizabeth. I was that Elizabeth.

Maybe I could convince them to forget about the whole arrangement. Ashton couldn’t seem to convince his father, but maybe I could. I didn’t have a duty to marry him. I didn’t want to marry him. I wasn’t even sure if I ever wanted to get married.