Chapter 50

Chapter 50 is dedicated to all my silent readers. You might not vote or comment, but the fact that you're giving my book a chance means a lot to me!

Thank you for your support ❤
--------------------------------------------------------

He had information about my biological mother? I needed to hear what he had to say about her. I didn't know anything else other than what he'd told me the first day we met. I was curious.

Besides, we also needed to talk about the betrothal. I was upset that Ashton had left out the very important detail of him inheriting the throne. I didn't want to be a princess, much less the queen.

"I'm going to speak with the king," I said, pulling my hand from his hold.

"But-"

"I have questions, Ashton," I sighed. "And you're not being honest with me."

"And you think he will be?"

"Yes."

I walked away from him. The queen followed beside me. I entered the spacious office and sat down across from his desk. Ashton stormed into the room a moment later.

"You said you had some questions," the king said. "I'll answer them."

"Thank you," I smiled. "I'm still a bit confused about the betrothal," I started hesitantly. "I would become the princess?"

"Yes," the king answered. "For now."

"For now?"

"After Ashton is crowned, you will rule by his side as a queen."

"Yeah... I'm not too sure about that," I admitted.

"Oh?" he asked, completely unfazed.

"I respect the monarchy and I'm honored that you would consider me to fill such a large role, but I really don't think I'm the best option. I'm not royalty, I wouldn't fit in."

"We will make sure you have all the training that you need," the queen smiled. "I know you can do this."

"But I have a choice?" I asked hesitantly.

"You're already betrothed," the king stated.

"But I don't remember any of it," I pressed. "And I think Ashton will be a great king if he married someone he loved."

The king rested his chin on his hands as he studied me. "Love?"

Ashton rolled his eyes. "It's obvious that she doesn't want to do this. Stop forcing this on her."

"Stay out of this," the king ordered. "You do not have a choice."

"But don't I?" I asked again.

I had broken the silence between me and my parents last night. I needed to know if I could get out of the arranged marriage. My dad was the best person to ask, since he knew about all the customs and traditions of Crysauralia. I'd asked him about breaking off betrothals as casually and hypothetically as I could.

He had explained to me that if someone from another kingdom was involved in the betrothal, then that person was eligible to break the betrothal with permission from the government of their kingdom.

Technically, I was a dual citizen. My mother was not from this kingdom. I was born in Meryllia and had signed the contract as a Meryllian. Therefore, I could break the agreement. The question was, would the Meryllian government let me?

"I do have a choice," I repeated, and this time the king understood what I was trying to say.

"You're a smart girl," he chuckled. "Yes, you do have a choice."