Chapter Forty-Nine

I grab a grocery basket, as Rory and Lane do the same. I check my list, grabbing essentials like eggs and milk first. 

"Dean visited me, he was offering a bookcase and I took it of course." Lane follows her sentence.

"Hey, I would take it too." I agree with her as I grab a loaf of bread. "How is he doing?" Lane asks her.

"He dropped out of college." Rory spits out.

"Really?!" I shockingly ask.

"Yup, cut down on expenses. It's such a waste, he is so smart, and it's being wasted on nothing! He can do so much more." Rory exclaims a little too passionately.

"Well it's his choice--" I say until Rory cuts me off.

"Well, I'm not mad at Dean, but I'm mad at Lindsay for doing this. She's so selfish!" Lane follows once more.

"Women." I scoff.

"What? Isabella think about it, she tells Dean to dropout to pay for a townhouse, which is basically a Rolls-Royce. Lindsay should be encouraging him to go to school and think about his future, but NO." I ignore her. "Isabella am I crazy? Dean wasn't excited either. She should get a job."

"Rory!" I say as we walk around the isles. "Lindsay and Dean are not privileged like you and I, we we're connected to wealth and I am grateful but you're starting to sound spoiled. They need money to not only support themselves but a future family, college is a decision or a thing to set a pause on. So, instead of blaming Lindsay, blame no one, things happen." I say annoyed, we fully walk around, but stop seeing Lindsay upset and hurt. She rushes out the building, I sigh. 

"You think she heard?" I look over to Rory annoyed. I walk over to a register and start to pay for my things. "You're not seriously mad are you?"

"Rory, you made a marriage have more conflict." As they scan my last item, I pay for it all. I grab the bags. "Listen, I got to go, see you around, bye Lane."

"Bye." She quickly states, before I leave. 

As I walk down the street, completely leaving the shop. I stop seeing Lindsay, with tears slowly creeping out. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry--" she cuts me off.

"It's not your fault, you weren't bashing me." She laughs, I pull out a tissue from my purse. "Thanks...and what you did back there for me..."

"It's nothing, listen you should go home, talk to Dean, this will pass." I calm her down, she nods and leaves. 

I quickly decide to go home, needing a break from all the sudden drama to hit me. I grip the wheel and feel my stress increase as I keep thinking about what happened. I look over at the phone I bought, not wanting to call anyone yet. I pick it up and put it in my purse, as I pull up to my house I see my boss's car in my driveway. He turns around as I exit my car.

"W-what's wrong?" He looks down then up at me.

"I got an offer to partner with one of the biggest businesses." I smile and hugs him, feeling him pull away. 

"That's great--why are you upset?" He chuckles, and releases my arms.

"It's across the world...and I don't know when I'm coming back." I feel myself drop, like a ton of bricks just hit my head and heart. "Could be a month, or years." I keep myself together as he continues to talk. "Long distance? It could work." I grab his face to look at me.

"Let's go inside, and talk." He nods, and grabs my hand while guiding me in.

"I got the news a few months back, when we first started dating...I tried to hold it back until I was ready to tell you, but the limit til I lose it is this week." I sit down with him.

"I-is that why you kept wanting to be with me--like rushing or making dates?" I ask him, he nods.

"That was the reason, but I'm willing to give you the decision." I turn towards him. "Do you want me to stay or go, Isabella?"