Chapter Fifty-Six

The room is silent, I quickly look a Rory, her expression said it all. My icy stare couldn't help to show this time, I wanted her to feel regret. I wanted her to feel guilt.

I compose myself, as footsteps enter the home. I exhale, unknowing of my blood pressure—no adrenaline rising. I slowly check the time and decided it's my time to go, once and for all.

"Goodbye Rory, I hope someday you'll see what you did wrong." I turn slowly and only make contact with Lorelai. "It was nice seeing you before I go."

"Likewise, I'll miss you." She hugs me once more, I accept it, feeling like she was my second mom.

I pass by Dean, and step one foot out the door.

"Wait!" I try to ignore and keep on walking down the steps. "Please don't—" he grabs my arm, I angrily shake it off.

"Excuse me but I have to go." I state looking away from him.

"I'm sorry, Isabella....I am!" I shrug him off but he runs over stopping me. It's the first time I've looked straight into his face. "I-I like you." I roll my eyes and try to move on, but he stops me again. "I always did! But I got jealous and....I thought I should move on."

"So you sleep with my friend?! To what?! Get revenge?!" I scoff and take a step, he blocks me with his arm.

"I dated Rory cause I liked her, that's all true—but when I saw Tristan kiss you...I thought it was over." I confusingly stare at him. "I thought you moved on."

"Dean if you don't get to the point, I'm going to leave." I stood still, he rests his arm.

"So, I got married and found myself still stuck on you. Then you dated your boss, so I thought you were completely done with me. When I—slept with Rory, it was me giving up." I shake my head and try to leave but he stops me again. "I like you Isabella, I do."

"It's too late for that." I shove him out the way and hear his calls.

"Isabella please!" I quickly look at the time and realize I'm ready.

"Goodbye Dean." I state, as I turn my head, he grabs both of my cheeks. "Dean—"

"Tell me you don't want me to kiss you right now." I froze, his question was clear as day, and my answer wanted to be shouted out. "Yes or no."

I've been waiting for this moment for years, the feeling of Dean having mutual feelings. The burning in my heart used to be a flame for Dean, but now it's aching, drowning in torture. I bring my hands up to his wrist, and hold them.

Would it be wrong for me to say yes?

"No." I gently moves his hands away from my face. "I can't kiss someone that broke my heart." I smile, tears building up in my eyes. "I'm so sorry Rory, that you had to see this unfold." I lower my head, and walk away.

"Isabella!" Dean shouts but quickly cut off by Lorelai.

"Let her go, she's made her decision." She states coldly, I can feel their eyes piercing my back.

Somehow this felt like a break up, like we were actually something this whole time. God, I feel like an idiot. I feel no regret, for the first time I made an decision as an adult with no help. I'm finally independent.