Intermission

Walking along the familiar road drives happiness down Isabella's spine. A sense that she has changed but the town has stayed the same. The love filling in her heart as she declares that this moment is the start of a new beginning.

The small bookstore having kids walk out with their basic hungry caterpillar, Dr. Seuss, and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. The fresh scent of coffee and tea filling in her nose. The sound of music from the dance studio.

Wind. The wind, gently shaking the trees, making the leaves fly across the gazebo in the park. It would be a sin of her to not call this her happy place. It's been years, since she saw a familiar face, and the ache in her heart couldn't resist. The confident stride into the diner, as the bell rings from above her head.

"Give me a moment, I'll be right with you." The cushion under her, comforting as she watches the man pour coffee into multiple mugs. "Alright, what'll it be—" the rug dangling on his shoulder dropping onto the table, it fit his reaction perfectly. "I-Isabella..?"

"Hi Luke." She said with such gleam in her eyes. Like a proud dad would, he sprinted around the counter, lightly bumping into the old 90s cash register. She gently got off the seat and felt his warm arms around her torso.

"You're so grown now." He says, the embrace softly letting go, his eyes scanning her face. "God—" he hugged her tightly again.

"I've got a question for you." He separates quickly from her and looks over at the steaming mugs. His smile never leaving his face as he continues to work.

"Yeah yeah! What is it?" He wipes his hands on the rug and starts to place the mugs on peoples tables, so quick he probably couldn't hear a thank you. As he walks back up to her, Isabella holds his accountable.

"Did you ask out Lorelai for me?" Her smirk said it all, as Luke freezes in his spot.

"I might've—" Isabella groans as Luke scrambles around the counter. "I've been with her for over a decade so, it would be appropriate to ask out a woman that you love and are currently staying with—" Isabella cuts off Luke's rambling with excitement of her own.

"So you did!" He smiles as Isabella spins herself around the chair happily. "Glad you kept that promise."

"It wasn't a promise!"
"It was."
"No it wasn't—you asked while you were leaving."
"It was a goodbye quest for you, think of Lorelai as the princess or that woman from Star Wars—"
"Princess Leia..?"
"Yeah her!"

The period of silence arrives, as the two finally break it with a laughter they both missed.

"I can't believe you don't know Princess Leia's name." Luke says, placing his palms on the table.

"What do you mean 'I don't know her name'" Isabella then playfully crossed her arms in sudden defeat.

"It's just that it's a popular franchise, and if you plan a marrying a man, you should know that most men are into sci-fi girls wearing practically nothing." As Isabella stares at Luke, he confusingly watches her focused gaze.

"Stop avoiding the topic." He sighs. "So when did you ask her out?"

"A little after you left." Isabella smiles, wanting to kick her feet like a little girl watching a kissing scene. "I felt like if I didn't then I wouldn't honor your memory."

"Memory? God you make it seem like I died." She chuckles, as a coffee is placed in front of her. "I'm glad you did it, I can tell you're really happy." As Isabella examines the diner, she spots a flyer beside her.

"Wait wait—" Isabella swipes the flyer before Luke had the speed to do it himself. As her eyes quickly scroll along the paper, her brows furrow.

"You guys knew that I was coming!?" The flyer places down on the table, as she stares at Luke with curiosity.

"There was a rumor online that you were returning back home, so the town posted these everywhere." Isabella turns as the people continue to eat peacefully, she spots a group of people beside the door, peeking through. "You didn't think being a famous songwriter would leave you alone here, did you?"

"Would've been a nice warning." Isabella shrugs and tries to finish her coffee. "Where's Lorelai?" She says with a gulp.

"At home, she has a day off." Isabella smiles as Luke pieces everything together. "You're gonna visit her."

"Of course." As Isabella scrambles to find money, Luke holds out his hand.

"On the house."
"Luke..."
"Seriously, it's a welcome back gift."

Isabella smiles with joy, as she sprints out the door, finding her body guards ready to protect her. I guess composing songs did make her famous.