Chapter Forty

We both chuckle and walk out, seeing staff and employees put up banner's and decorations. I confusingly look around, as we continue to walk away from Luke's diner. I stop reading a banner from afar, a Valentine's day carnival? I've never seen them do this before, Valentines day isn't a holiday for a carnival.

"Trust me I asked about it too." Rory says.

"Weird, why would they do this?" I ask, she shrugs as we cross the street. "Well, we still have time to kill, what are you up to do?" She stops me and frowns. "You're busy...?"

"Yeah, Logan." I nod, and push my bag up more.

"I see, your new man." I wink, she nudges my shoulder. "I'll see you around." I say as we say our goodbyes. 

I check my watch and continue to walk, noticing my car still parked. I don't want t leave just yet, it's my free day too! I should enjoy it more, right...of course. I walk along the grass, watching the sun hit me. I take a deep breath and lift my foot up to walk, I hear a yell and turn my head.

"Dean?" He's changed. "Hey-" He hugs me tightly as I finish my sentence. "How are you?"

"Great! Wedding is coming soon, the carnival is tomorrow--everything seems perfect." I nod.

"I'm glad." I say with happiness, feeling bitter in my heart.

"What about you?" He says, I look around.

"Same old, I'm still working, and surviving my parents." He smiles sweetly at me. I look behind him, seeing a ladder coming our way. "Oh, watch out." I calmly say while grabbing his forearm. We shift to the side, as they apologize for almost hitting us. "Close one, at least it wasn't open, then we'll have bad luck." I laugh and look over to Dean. 

"Uh- yeah." He nervously takes his hand away. His face turns red, as he looks around. 

"Sorry about that." I chuckle as he composes himself. "Are you al...right?" I say seeing two figures hide behind a bush, I furrow my brows and ignore it. 

"Yeah-yeah I'm fine." I tuck hair behind my ear and back up a bit. "Are you coming to the wedding?" 

"Hopefully yes, but if I have to work, I might possibly miss it. Sorry, but I'll try my best to come." I pat his shoulder, noticing my watch time. I look at it, seeing it was my que to go.

"It's alright, oh--do you have to go?" I nod.

"Yeah, I do." I sadly say, he opens his arms hugging me softly this time. "See you around, Dean."

I slowly walk past him, I feel the ache in my heart grow as I feel his eyes burning onto the back of my head. I want to turn and meet his gaze, for a second to see or know how he might feel. No, he's is getting married, and I have to respect that. I'm getting over him, and continuing on with my life.

I open my car and get in, as I start it I watch as more people walk along the sidewalk with their partners. Well, this holiday always made me feel lonely anyways. I smile and start driving back to my house--well parents house. I really need to move out, maybe I should ask them--no no I can't. 

Actually I can, I am a grown adult, with a job and a car....I can do this. I grip my steering wheel, and feel the tension grow on my back as I drive. Distract my mind.....distract my mind, work--let's think about work tomorrow. I was supposed to work tomorrow, but I have to find a way around it. Why do I keep asking for much these days? Is it because of stress? Probably, since it's been a few years of this happening. 

I pull up to my house, and get out as I watch Peter pull up. I wave to him, he waves back as I walk into the house. As I continue to walk, I stop at the kitchen entrance, the phone starts to ring. I wait a second, to see if it's for my father or mother, after I grab it. 

"Hello?" I say, while the kitchen employees go back to work.

"Ah yes, Secretary Porter, I have something to tell you."