Chapter Twenty-Nine

I dab my mouth with a napkin, finishing the split dessert we decided to share. I start cleaning up, as the wind lightly blows through us. I take a napkin, and give it to Dean, he simple thanks me and continues to finish up his plate. I slowly pack everything into the basket, he passes his plate as I tuck it in with the rest.

"This was great, I couldn't have thing of anything better." I close the basket, and gladly nod.

"I'm happy, since it was the fourth time I cooked. I enjoy cooking, but my family would never let me." I look at him, as he stares into my saddened eyes.

"Why?" He asks.

"Well we have employees for that, but I see them as my family since they raised me as well. I rather learn to do everything for myself, because I don't ever want entitled people to relate to me." I say, he places his hand on mine, I shockingly look at him.

"Don't worry, you're not like anybody I've ever met." I smile, but quickly take my hand away and stand up.

It felt wrong, they were dating--it feels wrong. I need to be the bigger person, no matter what intent he meant...it just felt like I was betraying her, I was gonna betray Rory and her mom. I pick up the basket, as Dean gathers the blanket and put it in. I hear a yell, seeing Rory run to us as Jess falls behind. 

(Flashback Ends)

"So, how's the relationship?" I ask, as he looks for her.

"Well it's doing good, we seem to get along well." I nod and turn and spot her, I point at her.

"Lindsay!" Dean calls, her smile comes as she approaches us. 

"Hey Isabella!" She lightly hugs me. "Great to see you! Lovely party." Dean kisses her cheek as she stares back at me. 

"Thanks, love to age by year!" Dean and her laugh, as he wraps an arm around her. Ouch, that burns a bit. "I apologize but I have to introduce myself to other guests." I wave and see Rory wave at me, as Jessi appears at her side. 

"Isabella." She says giving me a tight hug. "I haven't seen you at school, what's the deal?"

"I was actually finishing some assignments for school, I've been trying to graduate early." She gasps.

"Okay, I'm glad you have your priorities straight and to the point." I nod, and look towards my father and mother, as they wave to me, to come towards them. "I see that you're wanted."

"Guess I am. Well, nice to see you." I wave and join my parents, seeing an older man with them.

"This is the birthday girl, aka my daughter Isabella." The man offers a hand, and I take it. My father continues talking about me, making me zone out in the process. They finish up, as I slowly back-up trying to head up to my room. 

I basically run up to my room, feeling my chest pound, hearing each beat blast in my ears. I look at the papers on my desk, and feel this unpredicted motivation to complete it. I go over and sit down, grabbing the pen. I scribble answers and complete essays, for about an hour or two. I hear a light knock, I get up and see I only have two assignments left and I'm free from high school. 

I open the door, and see one of the maids, she tilts her head to downstairs. I walk down, seeing the gift table full, my eyes widen as my father yells my name. Everyone gathers around the table, I nervously smile and make my way through. A huge cake sits on top, with a knife, I walk over to the knife and hold it. A song is being sung, as I awkwardly bop my head to it, multiple yells from all sides say 'make a wish!'.

I carefully place down the knife and close my eyes, I blow out the candle and hear clapping. I grab the knife, cutting one slice. I place it on the plate as the employee comes to grab the knife. I thank them and back away, slowly running to my room.