16. pretending

✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧

✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧

"You don't think Montes can see us from here, right?" Stacey asked as she peered into Beverly's football practice.

Jane shook her head. "She's focused on the field right now. We'll be okay."

All of Beverly's players ran out on the field, but Stacey looked out in confusion when she saw two red jerseys lineup at the QB position. "That's not..."

"That's my man! Qb1," Jane smiled on at her boyfriend.

Stacey giggled. "Oh come on, JJ's their defense guy. Jordan's the quarterback."

Jane glanced over at her, a bit offended. "Are you saying JJ sucks?"

"No, I'm just saying he plays defense," she tries to take back what she said, but Jane is already diverting her attention to Stacey and not the practice.

"I get it that Jordan's the hot football quarterback, but that doesn't mean JJ doesn't have a chance," stated Jane.

Stacey sighed. "Jordan has been quarterback since freshman year, they're not going to change that. He's proved himself."

"All because his daddy was the coach," Jane mumbles.

Stacey rolls her eyes. "I heard that."

On the field, Jordan throws a touchdown and Stacey mentally cheers for him. His old white jersey still sits in her closet. She remembers wearing it for the state championship last year. If only she could wear it this year.

"I just hate how people see JJ as some dumb guy," confesses Jane after a couple of more plays. "I hear people in the hallways, the ones that don't know him, but think they do. They think I'm mental for dating him."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that," says Stacey.

"I get it, you're busy," says Jane. "With your business, drama, and planning for college, you barely have any free time."

"Yes I do," defends Stacey. "I always make time for you and my friends."

Jane backs away from the fence. "Sorry, I'm just overreacting."

"No, I'm sorry I even said that. JJ's an amazing guy," says Stacey. "He's treated you so well and if you remember correctly, Jordan's not a perfect guy."

Jane chuckled. "You got that right."

Once practice wa sover, Stacey went to the breezeway where she used to wait for Jordan after games. Maybe this was too much for a friend to do. She wanted to turn around and go to her car, but remembered she had to take Asher home anyways as his car was in the shop.

She was about to turn the corner, but stopped when she heard a familiar voice.

"That's amazing that you got QB1! Never a doubt in my mind."