21. one last time

✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧

✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧

The whole week was spent with either Darnell or facetiming Simone about what she was going to do with her baby. It had seemed like Darnell wasn't even leaving as each day felt like any normal day. However, the end of the week was up and Stacey now awaited in Spencer's house to surprise Darnell with his going away party.

Grace went ahead and planned this going away party to relieve some of the stress Stacey was experiencing. She was forever grateful for Grace.

Grace, Cameron, Spencer, Dillon, and Darnell walked through the door to the dark house. Stacey waited a couple of seconds before Grace turned on the lights.

"Surprise!"

Darnell turned around with a huge smile on his face. He went around to hug everyone, mumbling 'thank yous' each time. Once he got to Stacey, he enveloped her in a hug.

"You all are amazing," he said to her.

She pulled away from the hug and kissed his cheek. "Did you really think we weren't going to have some sort of going away party for you?"

He shook his head.

The door opened and Billy walked in. He looked around, realizing he was late. "I missed the surprise."

"I texted you eight Mr.Baker," Stacey told him.

"You know I'm not good with texting. You call me," he pointed out.

Stacey chuckled and let Darnell go up to Billy to talk. Spencer came over to Stacey and leaned against the wall with her.

"How's therapy?" she asked him. "Layla told me about it."

"It's um...different, but helpful," said Spencer. "My therapist is making me write about that night of the shooting. It's harder than it seems."

Stacey nodded, remembering that night vividly. "It was a crazy night."

"My therapist thinks the regret I have for not knowing you were in the van is what's wrong with my shoulder."

Stacey whipped her head around to him. "What?"

Spencer chuckled. "It's not, don't worry. We talked it through; there was nothing I could do and you weren't the reason why I was in that situation in the first place."

Stacey nodded. "Then, what do you think it is?"

He shrugged. "I don't know."

Billy came up to them. "Sorry to interrupt you two, but I have a little surprise waiting outside for you, Spence."

Spencer excused himself and walked outside. She caught the slightest glimpse of the back of Jordan's neck before the door closed.

"It won't be awkward if he comes in, right?" asked Billy.

She cleared her throat a bit. She was always going to be close with Billy and Laura, but it was awkward talking about Jordan with him. "Oh, of course not. Jordan and I are still friends."

Billy nodded. "That's good. That's good. You're always welcome over, you know."

"Thank you, Mr.Baker," she smiled.

Darnell came up and took Stacey's hands. "Sorry Coach, but I'd like to steal her for a moment."

Billy let them go and Darnell went towards the living room. He got everyone's attention. At the same time, the front door opened and Spencer walked in with Jordan. Stacey and him locked eyes and she gave him a small smile. He returned one. His eyes traveled to Darnell's arm that was wrapped around her and Stacey diverted her attention back to Darnell.

"Hey guys, um I just wanna to thank you all from the bottom of my heart," started Darnell. "I don't even know what to say."

"We actually got one more surprise for you man," said Spencer.

Dillon came over with a bag. "What's this?"

Darnell reached in and pulled out a shirt with his and Cory's face on it. His face lit up. "Oh wow, thanks."

"Crenshaw will always be your home," reminded Spencer. "So take as long as you need for Ms.Renee to recover. When it's time to come back, we, your family, are gonna be right here waiting for you and your mom."

Darnell nodded. "I appreciate that."

Darnell gives Spencer a hug and Stacey joined in. One by one, everyone else joins in as well. Stacey waited for everyone to leave before pulling Darnell outside. They sat down on the front porch. She watched Billy drive Jordan away and Coop and Cameron walked away before beginning the conversation she was dreading to have.

"This isn't going to be a fun conversation, huh?" asked Darnell, taking her hands in his.

Stacey bit her lip. She didn't have the courage to look up at him. "No...it's not, but I don't want to have it."

"We have to or else we won't move on with our lives," said Darnell.

Stace nodded. "You're right."

"So, I'm guessing we're breaking up," Darnell answered for her.

"I-I just can't do long distance," stated Stacey. "What if we tried and we ended on a bad note? I don't want that. It'd be better if we mutually ended it right now."

"I understand that," said Darnell. "Still sucks."

Stacey chuckled. "You're such a great guy Darnell. I wish I saw that more in New York. We would've had more time."

"I don't regret anything," he said. "At least I had the chance to be with you. You're a good girlfriend."

Stacey blushed. "I try my best."

Darnell moved his hands to her waist and brought her in close for a kiss. Stacey knew it was their last one as the kiss felt desperate, trying to save every last memory of it. She let him pull away after a minute, placing his lips on her nose and forehead. She couldn't believe she was losing something so good in life so fast.

"I have to get home," she whispered.

"Of course."

Darnell got up and offered her a hand. She took it thankfully and let him lead her down the steps. She brought him in for one last hug, loving the warmth of his arms around her. At least this wasn't a messy breakup.

She pulled away and gave him one last smile. Before she could get in her car, Darnell called out to her.

"If I come back sooner than expected, would we..."

Stacey sighed and shrugged. "Depends on what's happened in our lives I guess."

"Yeah," he agreed. "I'm not trying to make you wait for me, I was just curious."

"I was too," said Stacey. She opened her car door. "I'll see you soon, Darnell."

"I'll see you soon, Stacey."

Stacey got in and started her car. She gave Darnell one last glance before pulling away from Spencer's house. She didn't know when she'd see him again.