Chapter 19: I will forgive you only if we go to Jason's friends party

A wave of shock washes over me as I pivot to see my mother seated on the couch feet crossed, clothed in a bathrobe, and giving me a stern motherly glare.

Shit.

Her hands are tightly crossed over her chest, and I can feel my mouth hanging from my face in disbelief and astonishment.

My heart is pounding in my chest, and my throat becoming parched. Despite mother's stoic expression, her eyes tell a different story; they reveal her disapproval, and I know she's not happy with me. I gather my thoughts and proceed to speak, but before I can utter a word, she interrupts me, leaving me speechless.

"Don't bother lie, Anna," she says sternly as she rises from the couch and places her hands on her waist, assuming the authoritative stance of a mother about to give their child a lecture. I feel a lump in my throat, realizing that I'm in for a scolding that could potentially result in punishment. "Where the hell have you been?" My mouth feels parched, and the words seem to stick in my throat when I attempt to respond. "Annabelle Benette Frazer, if you don't start talking this instant, I swear to God..."

A rush of panic engulfs me, causing my emotions to spiral out of control. "Josh! Sorry, I didn't mean to shout," I explain to my mother, my words tumbling out nervously.

My nerves are on edge, and I can't bring myself to look her in the eye.

"Why didn't you tell me instead of sneaking out? Do you know what's it like to wake in the middle of the night and not see your daughter in her bedroom where she is supposed to be?"

She must have been devasted, "Mom, I am so sorry, I didn't want to wake you-"

"Don't you ever do that to me again, and as a matter of fact, there won't be again because you are not leaving this house at late night especially dressed in that. What are you even doing in lingerie? You had date dressed in that, and what date is at this hour of the night?" She asks, her face hot and pinched with rage.

I look down at myself unable to say anything, "I..." Mom sighs turning away and I take that as my cue to go to my bed, but I am wrong because she stops me.

"I didn't say you could leave," she grabs something from the side table and turns to me. She raises her hand and shows me my birth control pills, "I found these under your bed this morning while getting your laundry," it must have fallen from my drawer this morning while I was getting ready for school. "You haven't used these in months because you're not having any problems with your cycle, I don't understand why you still have them. Annabelle are you having sex?" she looks me in the eyes and I stay quiet. "I don't even know what to say," she says, taken aback, "Look, I know you're almost nineteen and you have the right to do it, but you're innocent... you're not that person- at least that was what I thought."

But I am that person, I was going to change eventually, mom needs to get that, and as much as I want to tell her what I want to, I am scared. I don't want to risk that, and she's my mom. "I am sorry mom..."

She shook her head looking at the pills then sighs, bringing her eyes to me, "Look, I need to understand you're an adult not my baby anymore. You're grown, I shouldn't even be in you business. I need to understand that-" she begins gloomily shaking her head, making my face fall.

"Mom...." I am still your baby.

"No, I do because Annabelle, you are almost nineteen and you're having sex and I am livid about it when I shouldn't be. You're a young woman, I understand, I understand completely. I'm just terrified about my past and wouldn't want you to make the same mistake I did.... I was once young too and I know what's it like being your age. And, here is what you're going to do, as long as you're in my house, under my roof, you're not allowed to leave or enter this house after elven, understood?" She says and asks with a serious, chilling tone.