Chapter 28: Things didn't work out for my dad

I open my mouth to say something but closed it staring at my mother. I thought she was paying our mortgage, this isn't good there is nowhere for her to go if she loses the house. "Mom, does dad know about this?" I ask after a minute of processing.

She looks over at me, "Your dad, he, um, he can't help us, honey," she says and I confusedly look at her trying to processing what she's saying. This is dad's house too what does she mean he can't help us he has to try. Try is not even an option because he has to.

"That's bullshit mom-" I cut myself off feeling my blood boils when she said that, I didn't know what got over me to curse like that, but I am not comfortable hearing her saying he can't help. He has to do something, "Mom I am sorry but I don't wanna hear that, he has to do something to help us-"

"Honey he um, forget it I will figure something out okay-"

"But mom you don't-"

"I SAID, sorry but I said I will figure something out okay?" I look at her saying nothing, I have never seen my mom snap like this before. She startled me.

I sigh knowing there is only one thing I can do. I can't leave my mom and siblings homeless, even when my dad can't help and for some reason, I want to know why he can't. "Mom... you can use my college funds to pay for your mortgage-"

"What? Honey no, I can't do that-"

I shake my head, "Yes you can, I can't let you and my siblings homeless I want to help you, mom. Plus I got the scholarship to carry me there just let me help you."

"But I-"

"Mom I have the scholarship, pay off all your mortgage everything is just going to the same," I look at her with pleading eyes hoping she would say yes, and when she does I will have to call Mrs. Marshall.

"I- honey, are you sure?" she asks and I nod. She sighs, "Fine, I will take it, either way, you're still going to college right?" She smiles sadly.

I lean my head in her lap, "Everything is fine now," I whisper while she soothing my hair down. How am I going to break the news to my best friends and Josh? I sigh, closing my eyes shut. I can't believe something like this happened.

"Yeah, now," I hear mom whispers in a depressing tone that somehow sounds like she's hiding something, but now is not the time for questioning. It's time to relax and think about our next step.

I sit on my bed and take my phone from my pocket, I searched Mrs. Marshall's number then dialed it.

"Hello, this is Mrs. Marshall speaking how can I help you?"

"Goodnight Mrs. Marshall, I know I shouldn't be calling you but I couldn't wait until tomorrow to tell you," I sigh.

"It's okay dear just tell me why you called?" She's not a satanist as I thought she was.

"It's about the scholarship, I made up my mind I want it- only if it's still available."

She chuckles, "Yeah sure it's still here, I knew you were going to change your mind. Just come to my office tomorrow okay?"

"Yes thank you, Mrs. Marshall."

"No problem dear bye," she hangs up.

***

It's the next day and Josh and I are walking towards his car, school just ended and we are on the way to his house. Abby is at Declan's practice, he's getting prepared for his game next week. Josh and I got inside his car and he starts it sighing. I look over at him confused as to why he looks like that. Sad and hiding something.