Chapter 22: Elena, the girl who texted my phone

There will be sexual explicits in this chapter, and if you prefer to not read I will use italic writing throughout the whole thing so only people who want to read can and who don't can skip through.

It's our final SAT exam, and Abby, Josh, Declan, and I are heading to our classroom.

I'm confident we'll ace this test; I've put in a lot of practice, especially for the math section, which always leads the exams.

Entering the classroom, we find our seats at four vacant desks. As I observe the other students filing in and preparing, worry creeps inside my gut. They seem well-prepared.

Josh, sitting behind me, touches my shoulder and speaks, "Don't worry, you're going to ace this test," he gives me a reassuring smile, and I nod, glancing at Abby, who turns to look at me.

"We're going to pass this test," Abby utters, and I smile at her, shifting my gaze to Declan, who's sitting behind Josh, chewing gum, lid and carefree.

His eyes catch mine and he casually says, "I am failing this test," I give him a disbelieving look. "What? I am being honest," he shrugs, "Something awaits me on that test and I am not ready, I am only here right now because my mom wants me to-"

"Okay, Declan," I nod to him, then turn around to see that the teacher has already come in with the papers.

It's not our math teacher, but a different one to invigilate us.

He closes the door and walks before the class.

"Hey, class, no need to look so stressed; you're going to do well," I hope. Where is all my courage when I need it?

I had so much faith in passing when I was on my way here, so where is it now?

I have to believe in myself.

I can do this!

I can pass all my SATs and get a scholarship.

I exhale. "I can do this."

"I am Mr. Thomas, your invigilator for today. However, the paper has fifty four multiple-choice questions, six written questions and you're expected to answer all," he starts distributing the papers, reaching my desk and placing it on top, making my heart shift in my chest. "You have two hours to complete," he walks to his desk and stands in front of it. "You may begin. Good luck."

***

"I positively passed that test," I hear Abby say proudly as we walk towards the cafeteria for lunch before heading home to prepare for our sociology exam the next day. "How about you, Ann?"

I don't know what to think because I don't know if I passed. I did all the questions and made sure to check three times, but something keeps nudging me.

I need to get my mind off this.

"Ann, you there?"

"Yeah," I mutter, "yeah! I am here."

"Do you think you did well?"

"I don't know, Abby. We just finished the test; we didn't get the results! Why are you asking? I-" I panic.

"Annabelle!" Josh stops, holding my shoulders and looking down at me. "You passed; you've been practicing for weeks. I am sure you did well."

I sigh, looking up at him. "Did...I pass? I did well..." They nod, looking at me.

"Declan, what did you put for section C, question one?" Abby asks.

"Algebra...."

Abby nods her head, waiting for him to answer. "Yeah, it was an Algebraic question. What did you put? It said to solve the equation."