Chapter 38: Let's celebrate at home

It feels as though the weight of the world has crashed upon me. Not attending my own award ceremony and missing my siblings' birthdays were upsetting, but my parents divorcing is an entirely different level of distress.

My eye muscles start to twitch, and I find myself transfixed with horror, unable to avert my gaze no matter how desperately I want to.

In the midst of this turmoil, my mom, my siblings, Declan's parents, and Abby's parents gather around us, Jessie walking over as well.

Josh stands beside me, and it takes me a moment to realize how furious and astonished I am.

The curious glances from everyone make it clear that they've noticed, but now is not the time to inquire further. It's a moment for family.

My moment with family.

"You told her," my mom whispers, and I dare not look at her. She had kept it from me, pretending that everything was alright between her and dad. "Guys, could you please give us a moment and take the twins with you?" She ask, her voice strained.

Hannah nods understandingly and leads the twins away, accompanied by her husband and Jessie.

"And you too, Josh," I add, through clenched teeth.

"Annab-"

"Please, this is a matter for me and my parents," I whisper, trying to control my temper, and he acknowledges with a nod and steps away, leaving me to face both of my parents. I gaze at them intently. "I feel utterly betrayed by both of you."

"Annabelle, let me ex-" my mom begins.

"You lied to me, making me believe that you and daddy were still together. And both of you chose to keep this from me for God knows how long." A pained expression crosses their faces, reflecting their discomfort.

"I had intentions of telling you, Anna-" my mom starts, making my blood boil with rage, feeling betrayed.

"When mom! When were you going to tell me you and daddy got divorced?" My eyes are burgeoning with tears looking at them. I thought we tell everything to each other in this family, and I thought they loved each other endlessly.

"I was going to tell you once you had a successful school year-" my dad tries to explain.

"And ruin my college year?" I interrupt, glaring at both of them.

"Honey, your mom was trying to shield you from this kind of reaction," my dad attempts to justify.

Is he serious right now? "Why shouldn't I react like this? You both got divorced, and I had no idea. In fact, how long have you been lying to me?"

"Three months..." Mom looks away from me, filled with disappointment.

"My question is, why did you decide to get divorced?" I firmly cross my arms, demanding an answer from them.

"He was away for too long," Mom responds hastily, cutting off any opportunity for my father to speak, almost as if she didn't want him to reveal something.

I turn to look at my dad, waiting for his side of the story.

"I, um," he shifts uncomfortably on his feet. "I cheated on your mother- but not intentionally-"

A disbelieving scoff escapes my lips as I stare at my father. "Not intentionally...?" I shake my head in disbelief once more before calmly nodding, indicating to him that there's no need for me to be furious again.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he cheated on Mom. Despite Mom's efforts to maintain their marriage, this is how he repaid her.

I'm no longer even angry at Mom, except for the fact that she kept it hidden from me.