Chapter 40: Daddy's home

6 years later

As I stand in the kitchen, preparing a bottle for our one-year-old son, Junior, I feel a sudden rush as Eva and Ariyah come bounding towards me, wrapping their arms around my legs.

I let out a sigh, remembering that I had previously instructed them not to enter the kitchen, but they are too caught up in their playful chase to heed my words, darting around and using my legs as shields, and all the while, Junior cries in my arms, yearning for the bottle I am currently in the process of making.

Josh is at work so I have to do all the work by myself, and when he gets home- which is in an hour he's going to take all the kids to himself while I get some time to myself and this little one inside. I am six months pregnant with my fourth child Micheal, I know what you're thinking, why am I popping babies so fast? It's that Josh and I can't control ourselves.

Josh now manages his father's business alongside Abby, who has married Declan and recently welcomed their first child, Avery. Following his own dreams, Declan became a professional football star who is a quarterback in the National Football League, while Jessie has found his place owning an art gallery in New York.

As for me, I have achieved success as an author, specializing in romance and horror novels. I have the luxury of writing from the comfort of my home office, undisturbed by the presence of my children.

Abby and Declan have settled just a few houses away from us and frequently visit. Our parents, who are now enjoying their retirement, live out their dreams and are always there for us whenever we need them.

My siblings have blossomed into remarkable individuals and make a point to come and visit, often bringing along our parents. It warms my heart to see how well they connect with our twins and Junior.

I gently quiet Junior and hand him his lukewarm sippy bottle of milk before settling him into his walker and turning on his favorite cartoon.

"Come on, girls, it's bath time," I announce, glancing down but finding no sign of them. Not again.

I let out a sigh of frustration. Every time it's their turn to shower, they mysteriously disappear. "Come on, girls, no time for hiding," I place my hands on my hips, pondering a way to lure them out. "You can play with lots of bubbles this time," I suggest, shaking my head as I spot the twins running towards me, their curly light caramel hair bouncing behind their little bottoms.

I bend down, scoop up Ariyah from the ground, and hold onto Eva's hand. Together, we ascend the stairs and enter the bathroom, where everything is already prepared for the girls.

I undress them and gently place them in the warm bath. Once they're inside, they immediately begin splashing and creating sudsy bubbles, giggling and playing with each other.

I take a seat on the closed toilet lid and watch them, a smile spreading across my face, marveling at my precious princesses, overwhelmed with gratitude for the blessing of three remarkable children, and another one soon to join our family.

Josh and I have done a wonderful job raising them, of course with the support of our parents.

***

I gently lift Eva from the bath, wrapping her in a princess towel before cocooning her head and body. With her safely attended to, I turn my attention to Ariyah, carefully lifting her from the bathwater and also wrapping her in her princess towel.

Suddenly, the sound of the front door opening reaches my ears, accompanied by a familiar voice exclaiming, "Daddy's home!"

The girls erupt with joy, their excitement evident as they rush towards the source of the voice. "Daddy's home, yay!" They exclaim, their voices filled with delight.