Chapter 53: Wakanda

Steve's POV

I don't really know what to think or do at the moment.

How can I?

I know I haven't seen her almost two years, but all those others years flashed in my head. The times she was here with us.

Hope had been my closest friend for so long. My best friend, even before Sam came along.

She was there for me since the start. All of us really.

She is... was someone I trusted with my life. She was someone who knew me better than anyone else here, maybe even myself.

I don't know who this Thanos guy is, but if he managed to kill Hope and Thor, of all people, he must be strong.

I looked around the quiet jet, everyone else in their own thoughts.

Sadness had followed us from the facility after hearing the news of our friends and teammates.

I felt a hand squeeze mine tightly.

I looked to my side to see Natasha's eyes staring at me. Her eyes holding a slight emptiness to them. One I know is caused by Hope and Thor.

I stared at her for a moment. My eyes scanning her facial features.

"You don't think she's gone..." I finally realized after a few moments. Nat shook her head and sighed, looking away from me.

"She's too smart for that. Plus, Loki doesn't seem all that upset." She gestured to the god sitting far from the group.

His sitting position was relaxed, leaning back against the wall of the jet with his hand over his thighs. He had his eyes closed, an off look on his face.

I felt slight anger at the thought of him lying about something like this. About Hope being dead, gone forever. After 2 years of waiting for her to return, she can't and never will.

"But I can't understand why he would lie about something like that." Nat squinted her eyes at the god suspiciously.

I was about to reply, but I stopped myself as someone spoke up.

"Do you know that I can hear?" Loki scrunched his nose as he side glanced Nat and I, slight annoyance and sass in his tone.

"I was aware of that, yes." Natasha smiled back falsely, tilting her head to the side.

"Are you positive Hope is actually... gone?" I asked again. I've asked several times, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

She can't be. She's supposed to be here. With us.

We've been through so much, we've survived so much worse... right?

"Thanos's minions told us in New York." Bruce answered from Sam's side at the front.

"And you believe them?" Pietro raised an eyebrow at the doctor.

"From the sounds of it, they don't sound like trustworthy people." Wanda looked between Loki and Bruce, holding onto Vision closely.