Chapter 6: Back

I peeked into Bucky's room of the house. Bucky spends a few nights over, so I just call the guest bedroom his room.

I smiled at the sight of Wanda and Pietro sleeping on the bed. Steve and Sam probably took the two couches.

I turned around and nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Holy shit!" I whispered, placing a hand over my heart.

"Sorry." Steve gave me a small smile. I rolled my eyes and shoved him.

"You don't just sneak up on a woman. Make your presence known!" I exclaimed in a whisper, not wanting to wake anyone up.

"Next time." Steve chuckled with a nod. We stared at each other for a moment. I could tell he had something on his mind.

I would have walked away, but he's blocking the hallway. This isn't the biggest house, and he's shaped like a big ass Dorito taking up the whole hallway.

Ever notice how his shield perfectly lined up with his shoulders when it's on his back? I don't know why, but I noticed it and think it's cool.

"I was going to talk to Bucky first, but I assume you have questions." I smirked while raising my eyebrows. 

"They can wait." Steve moved to let me by. "I'm just glad to see you're okay."

"Thanks Steve." I smiled gratefully and walked by him. I ignored his eyes that were on me as I opened my bedroom door.

Bucky was curled in a ball, hugging my pillow. I felt guilt build up inside of me. I noticed his grip tighten on the pillow. I quickly, and quietly, made me way inside. I closed the door behind me.

I walked around the bed, sitting on the other side of Bucky where there was more room.

I frowned at the signs of a nightmare. Squeezing eyes, tight grip, and tense.

I placed my hand on his hand, giving it a squeeze. I watched him stir awake. He jumped up looking around frantically. His breathing heavy.

"Hey Buck." I whispered softly. He looked at me, the panic in his eyes being taken over by relief.

"Hope." He sent me a tired smile. I moved over, giving him room to move. I leaning my back against the wall.

Bucky laid his head on my lap. I ran my hand over Bucky's hair, just like he did with me. "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I'm sorry I did it. I wish—."

"It's okay, James." I smiled down at the man. He let out tired sigh. "It wasn't your fault."

"But—."

"But nothing." I interrupted him. "You had no control. I want you to know that I don't blame you, for anything that you did as the Winter Soldier. I don't blame you."

There was a pause. I stared down at Bucky, but I couldn't see his face.

"I just ran out because I needed to some time to think. You did nothing wrong. I could never hate you." I spoke softly.

"I was so scared you would leave me." His voice low and raspy due to being half asleep. "I thought you wouldn't come back."

"I could never leave you. You're family. I love you James." I smiled weakly down at the man laying on my lap. I continued to run my hand over his hair. "Now go to sleep. I know you didn't sleep much last night because I didn't either."

I heard him let out a sigh of relief as his arm wrapped around my legs. I chuckled at him.

After about 5 minutes, Bucky's breathing slowed, telling my he was asleep again.