The Prince and the Ponyboy

Hey
Author me here  ˘◡˘ 
This is yet another revamp of one of my old chapters, “Riding Lessons”
I haven't done one of these in a long time (˘̩̩̩ε˘̩ƪ)
Anyways enjoy ⌯' ▾ '⌯
Bop bop les go
ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ✩‧₊˚

Tom hummed quietly to himself as he picked the flowers from the royal garden's rosebush.  They'd grow back anyway. He always made sure they did. His mother, the queen, hated seeing the bush all plain. Tom's father, the king, however, always critizied him for doing so. He said things like he should be out jousting, or riding horses or, finding a new wife to rule the kingdom. Tom was supposed to find some one to marry in three weeks. He didn't want to though. Sure, a lot of the girls stare goo goo eyes upon him and literally pass out while he's in the streets, but  that didn't mean Tom liked them back. He just wished his father could see that. "What are you doing out here Thomas?" Tom's peace was interrupted when he whipped his head aeound to see his best friend and servant, Edd. "You scared me half to death!" Tom exclaimed, "Please don't do that again." Edd chuckled. "I'm sorry for doing so, but might I ask what you're doing out here?" he asked, bowing in front of Tom. Tom rolled his “eyes.” "Ah, no need for that here." he smiled, "Why, I am simply picking some more roses. What else would I be doing?" Edd walked over to one of the benches and sat down. "Well I just hate to burst your bubble, but your father needs you in the library." he informed. Tom sighed. He set his basket of flowers down on the bench. "Fine." he said, "I'll be there." Edd shook his head.
"He said you needed to be there now."
"Why?"
"I don't know. The king doesn't tell me much. He knows how close we are."
"True. Guess I should be leaving then?"
"Yes."
Tom picked one more flower before heading inside with Edd.

The two entered the library where the king, King Thompson, stood. His back faced the door and he raised his hand and waved it once. That was supposed to be Edd's signal to leave. "Goodluck." Edd whispered before turning to leave. Tom gulped. "Father?" he called. The king turned around. "Thomas," he started, "what is that?" Tom looked down at his rose then quickly hid it behind his back. "What's what?" he asked, trying to act dumb.
"That flower."
"..."
"Thomas, what did I tell you about taking flowers from the rosebush?"
"..D-Don't take the roses."
"That's what I thought."
Tom sighed and hung his head. "I'm sorry father." he apologized. The king sighed. He always sounded a little dissapointed. That's how he made Tom feel. Like a dissapointment. Tom could never catch a break. “Thomas this, Thomas that,” he's told his father how much he hated being called Thomas. His mogher was the only one who ever listened. "Now Thomas," his father went on, "have you chose a bride yet?" He turned around to face Tom. Tom slowly shook his head. "N-No.." he answered quietly. His father sighed again. "Of course. Thomas do you know how important this is? You are seventeen, almost a man. You need to start being more responsible." Tom started to shake as his “eyes” darted around the room. "Just like your mother.." the king muttered. He outstretched his hand. "Give me that!" he ordered. Tom jumped. He hesitantly placed the rose in the king's hand. He looked down at it. "A rose?" he asked, "Thomas you need to focus on things other than smeeling the roses!" Tom sniffled and nodded. "Lift your head." his father ordered. Tom whipped his head up. "B-But I like the roses..." he mumbled quietly under his breath. The king sighed in annoyance. "Thomas, you are my son, you know what that means?" he asked. Tom blinked. "You are heir! One day you'll have to rule this kingdom by yourself. Do you think I got to where I am today by singing and picking flowers!?" Tom shook his head. "Answer me boy!" the king exclaimed. "No father.." Tom answered. "Good. You need to find someone to be at your side and at once. Now, off with you." the king said. Tom turned around and left.
Tom looked down at his bare hands and sniffled. Oh no. He was going to cry, again. Maybe his father was right. He was such a wuss. Kings don't cry. Or at least, his father didn't. Tom could feel hot tears streaming down his face. He cried silently to himself as he ran out and all the way to the royal stable. Sometimes, when he was feeling down, he liked to talk to his favorite black and white horse, Susan. "You understand me right?" he asked. The horse neighed. Tom sniffled and wiped his “eyes.” "He doesn't understand. I-I don't want to marry a princess.. I-I want to marry a-" Tom was cut off when he heard the sound of feet shuffling. He paused and wiped his tears once more before standing up. "W-Who's there?" he asked. No response. "Hello?" Tom called out. "Sorry about that." Tom blinked when he saw a dark figure walk into the light. He was a nice tan colour, not as pale as Tom, he had honey blond hair shaped into horns for some strange reason, a gap in his teeth, a red madras shirt, jean overalls, and brown boots. Tom's never seen him before. He blushed, studying his handsome features. "Well I, I heard someone crying and I thought it might have been- ah nevermind. I am Tord, you?" the man introduced himself. Tom smiled. "I'm Tom." he replied, "Sorry if I caused a disturbance."
"Ah shucks, it is alright. You're the prince of this place are you?"
"Yeah."
Tord clicked his tounge. "It okay if I just call you prince. I am not too good with formal names."
"Oh no, it's fine. I come here to get away from the normal actually."
"Ah I know that feeling. The stables make me feel at home. Even with all the horse dung."
Tom giggled slightly at the end comment. He covered his face and turned away. "No need to hide Tom." Tord said, "You can laugh if you want. Go on." Tom smiled and shook his head. "I'm fine." he politely declined. "Suit yourself." Tord remarked.
"What are you doing in here anyway?"
"I was tending to the horses of course."
"Right."

There was an awkward silence before Tord cleared his throat. "Why were you crying anyway?" he asked. Tom blushed in embarrassment and looked away. "O-Oh.." he muttered. "It's nothing. Trust in me when I say that." Tord hummed and kicked a bucket. "I see you like Susan there huh?" he pointed out. Tom turned to the horse then back at Tord. He nodded. "She your steed?" Tord asked. Tom nodded slowly. "My father doesn't let me ride her much." he said, "She's a beautiful horse really. I just wish I could..nevermind." Tord chuckled.
"It seems to me you need to clear your mind."
"I do."
"Why don't you take a ride? It'd be fun."
"I can't. Well, unless my father lets me."
"Oh."
Tom sighed sadly and turned away. "I should get going." he said. To be honest, he really didn't have to. He just wanted to be out of there before he fainted. "Thanks for the help." Tord shrugged. "Alright then." he replied, "Bye." Tom walked off slowly and blsuhed a little. Maybe he'd visit sometime. Tord seemed like a nice guy. Much better than anyone else he's ever met. Other than Edd. Tom smiled softly when thinking about his face. He was handsome to say the least. "Tom where were you?" Edd asked as soon as Tom entered the palace. "Outside." Tom answered. "What? Where?" Edd asked again, trailing along behind Tom. Tom didn't answer and entered his room. Edd sighed as Tom looked around and closed the door. He turned back to Edd and smiled. "Guess what?" he asked. Edd rolled his eyes. "What?" he replied.
Tom lowered his voice to a whisper. "I think I'm in love."
"What!?"
"Shhh! I don't want my father to hear!"
"Right. Sorry."
Tom sighed dreamily and flopped onto his bed. "Tom listen, I know I'm your friend and all but that's very unformal. Even for you." Edd pointed out. Tom sat up. "Sorry. I just can't stop thinking about him." he apologized.
"About who?"
"Tord. He's the boy I met at the stables. He's so handsome and likes horses like me!"
Edd chuckled awkwardly. "Isn't that why he works at the stables?"
"Yes."
Tom sighed. He smiled and then shook his head. "But my father," he started, "what will he think of me then. I can't lie to him." Edd shrugged. "Welp," he said, "guess you can't see ponyboy anymore oh well." Tom blinked. Edd paused. "I was kidding." he huffed. Tom hummed and looked away.
"I want to express my feeling towards Tord but I don't know how. A-And even if I do what if father catches us? Or what if he doesn't feel affectionate towards me? Oh Edd, I'm conflicted!"
"Seems so. Do you really like him?"
"Mhm."
"Do you want to tell him?"
"Mhm."
"Then do it. No shame in dating in secret."
Tom sighed. "B-But my-"
"-Nope. Nuh uh. I don't want to hear that. Tomorrow head down there and talk to him. I know you Tom. You'd do anything to be with someone you love."
Tom hummed and looked away. Edd was right. That sounds like something he'd do. But what about his father. Tom knew his mother didn't care. Whether it'd be king and queen, or king and king, as long as someone ruled. Besides, what if Tord didn't like him back? They could just be friends. Tom's heart would break. Looking upon Tord was love at first sight and he couldn't keep his “eyes” off of him until he left. Maybe he should just go with Edd's plan. Maybe they could date in secret. But if one thing's for sure, he was going to have to find a love.

And fast.