The Ultimate Enemy

One day, in the Casper High auditorium; Mr. Lancer is on stage, speaking in front of a screen. He is also standing behind a podium. Jazz and a man named Irving, are sitting in chairs on either side of him.

"Your future is not carved in stone, people, but it may be carved with a No. 2 pencil"

He holds one up.

In the audience, Danny and Aero are sitting next to each other. Tucker is on the other side of Danny. Sam right behind them, with her crossed arms propped on the back of their seats. Danny is sitting up and listening intently, but Sam, Aero, and Tucker look bored out of their minds.

"Oh, please." Tucker and Sam remark.

"Quiet, this is important!"

Tucker and Sam stare at him, then exchange a look to each other. Danny grabs Aero's hand and interlocks it with his. She blinks, blushing, noticing he did it without thinking about it. She looks away, blushing into her hand.

"As most of you have probably forgotten, you will be taking the Career Aptitude Test-"

The letters C.A.T. and the words of it are spelled out, appear behind him on the screen as he speaks.

"-on Saturday. Do well, like Ms. Fenton here-"

He gestures to Jazz

"who got-"

Danny speaks dully along with Lancer.

"-the highest score in the history of the C.A.T."

"And a successful future will be assured. Fail, like-"

He gestures to Irving, who is sleeping with his mouth open and drooling.

"-Irving 'Third Degree' Burns here, who got the lowest score in the history of the C.A.T., and you will be doomed to a career at the Nasty Burger."

An image of the burger joint displays on the projector.

Irving wakes up and stands, angrily.

"Hey! Working at Nasty Burger takes brains, you know! If those 42 Nasty Secret Herbs and Spices in our Nasty Sauce are overheated, it could cause and explosion that could take out a whole city block!"

Crickets chirp as the students stare at him, unimpressed.

"Oh, who am I kidding. My life is over." The man slumps off the stage

Lancer holds up the answer booklet.

"These aren't just the answers to the test. They're the answers to your future. So study."

He holds up a briefcase and puts the booklet inside, then closes it and handcuffs it to his wrist.

"Remember, it's your future. Do you want fries with it?"

Lancer marches offstage, briefcase in hand.

Sam, Aero, and Tucker look over at Danny.

"Dude, you OK? Danny?"

Danny is staring ahead, looking like someone just kicked the life out of him.

Later; in the Fenton kitchen, Danny is surrounded by books and working through a C.A.T. sample test. He taps the paper with his pencil for a moment, then drops his head into his hands despairingly. Jazz comes up behind him, peering over his shoulder with both hands on the back of his chair. None of the bubbles have been filled in. She frowns, smiling a little. Danny lowers his hand to mark his first answer as A. Jazz lifts a finger warningly.

"Ah-"

Danny looks back and she covers her mouth. Frowning and sweating a little, Danny starts to mark B. Jazz winces.