Urban Jungle

This morning; Sam is in her greenhouse, standing next to the Venus fly trap with a watering can. The trap snaps its fangs on a fly and munches.

"Take it easy, DeMilo."

She waters the Venus fly trap.

"That's your third fly this morning. And you know you're watching your cholesterol."

She puts the watering can down and walks over to a picnic basket.

"Hmm, I'm feeling international today."

Sam walks around the greenhouse and picks fruits from various plants, speaking to them; some in different languages as she does.

"Nice when countries can come together for a mutual cause."

Sam pours the basket of fruit into her lunchbox.

"Namely my lunch."

Tucker and Danny walk in, leaving the door wide open behind them. Danny is wearing a winter coat with his arms wrapped around himself. He's shivering with his teeth chattering.

"Hey Sam. Ready for school?"

Sam runs over to the door.

"Close the door! Cold air is not good for the plants. The humidity opens their pores."

She slams the door shut and turns to the two.

"It could help you sweat off a few inches too Mr. Pie-for-breakfast."

"And that's wrong why?" Tucker remarks and puts his hands on his stomach.

Danny continues to shiver.

"It's like a meat locker to me. Can you turn up the heat?"

Sam blinks." What's with you? It must be 95 degrees in here."

"I-I dunno. Ever since I got up this morning-"

A bad shiver goes through him, cutting him off. But then he continues.

"-I just can't seem to get warm."

Danny's hand brushes Tucker's arm as he stretches them out. Tucker shivers.

"Man. I've heard of ghosts sending chills up your spine, but this is too weird." Tucker remarks.

A fly flies across Danny's face as he speaks.

"I bet I'm coming down with a bug."

DeMilo eats the fly. Tucker slides up next to the plant.

"Awesome! A veggie that hates veggies as much as I do."

Sam chuckles and rolls her eyes. She looks at Danny.

"Did you ask Aero's mom about it?"

"Can't. The three of them went to the first zone. They're doing some family reunion thing with her family and I don't wanna bother them with something like this." Danny explains.

Sam nods.

"I'm sure it's just a cold."

She then turns and scolds DeMilo.

"No desert for you tonight, mister."

Sam turns to leave and Tucker follows. Danny is still shivering furiously, and as he walks past the table of plants, a wave of cold comes off him and freezes DeMilo.

As the three walk to school, a bunch of construction is going on around them. Sam groans.

"Ugh. Urban blight. So thrilled to live in the 21st century."