Lecture Seven

The Key To Success Is To Start Before You Are Ready.

"Nick if this is a trap I swear to God I will kill you myself."

We were sitting at one of the ports that was based just outside the City. Due to the fact it wasn't within the City's limits my dad normally left it alone and turned a blind eye to what happened here.

He always told me that sometimes you just had to give your rivals an inch so they thought they had control of something.

When in reality they just got what you were willing to let them to have.

Mom had also told me, if you give someone an inch of power they were often not willing to risk what they had for more.

My parents didn't teach just average lessons that's for sure.

"Shut up a second."

Nick was sitting in the back of my car looking out the window. He was searching for something but I wasn't sure what he was trying to spot.

The cold air was starting to seep into my car. Nick had made me turn the engine off and the lights. I was surprised he was able to see anything out there through the darkness. Then again he knew what he was looking for, it was always easier to spot something in the dark when you knew what it was you wanted to see.

"I'm reaching the end of my patience Nick."

Turning my head to River I wasn't surprised at the sight of him. He was sitting in the passenger seat with his eyes closed. He looked peaceful, the only sense of annoyance coming from him was his tensed jaw.

He was tired. River only got this snappy when he was tired.

He had told me he was up all night doing something for my brother and then he had school. Not that he needed to go in the first place but it was my dad who had asked Ezra and River to stay in school.

My dad needed eyes on the kids of the other powerful families in the City. There was also no one better to remind them which family was in charge than his own children and the Kennedy brothers.

"There." Pointed Nick out the window, his voice had risen as he pointed at what was going on down at the port.

Squinting my eyes it took me a few seconds to see what Nick was pointing out. Finally I was able to see it. There was a group of men standing down on one of the peers talking amongst each other. At first I didn't think there was anything wrong but the words quickly caught in my throat at what I seen next.

Some of the men started to unload something from a small boat. They looked like packages but I had been surrounded by this world since I was born. Straight away I knew they were drugs and I was to guess they would be heading straight towards the City.

They weren't my father's men and there was no way my dad would stand for someone else bringing in stuff like this to the City.

"Shit." River swore under his breath and opened the car door, his eyes never taken off the situation in front of us. Following his actions I did the same but Nick's panicked voice stopped me for a moment.

"What are you two doing." Nick yelled at us under his breath. He grabbed my arm through the gap in the seats to stop me from getting out. "Are you trying to get us killed."

Looking at the panic in his eyes almost made me stay but when I turned to look at River he was outside the car already ringing someone. No doubt it was my older brother but River didn't stop there.

No he was making his way down to those men and at a fast pass too.

As much as Nick wanted me to stay there was no way I was letting River go down there without someone. Knowing what I needed to do I turned back around to Nick and gave him a stern look. His eyes were dark in the night but I could see the confliction on his face.