Lecture Twenty-Seven

One Of The Best Lessons In Life, Is Learning How To Remain Calm

The bullet hit its mark.

The man's dull eyes rolled into the back off his head before he fell face forward onto the ground.

Using the stunned silence of the other two I quickly crawled backwards getting out through the passenger side window. My hands grazed the glass lying on the roof of the car and ground as I stood but I didn't have time to think about it.

The second my feet hit the ground and I was able to stand, I sprinted.

There was no need to look back, I knew the men would follow me as I headed towards the port.

They would be expecting me to run away, not to run towards the danger.

Time though, was on my side. It was only going to be a matter of time before River and Ezra got here. That crash had only made the seconds tick by quicker.

The only real problem was that I no longer had Zoe to be my eyes. I knew there was Enzo and his men were down there but I had no idea of their set up or where my sister was.

The more I thought about the fact they had my sister the more my anger raised it's ugly head.

But there was a way I could get information.

Stopping I turned around on my heel, coming face to face with the two men that were left. They stopped a few feet away from me their breathing coming out in pants as they tried to catch their breath.

Raising my hand I pointed the gun at the man closest to me. He didn't even flinch as he looked between the gun and me.

"Tell me where my sister is, now." My teeth were gritted as it took everything in me to keep my anger in check.

My chest was rising and falling but that had nothing to do with what I had just went through. I was trying to keep calm, my body was alight with anger. The more I thought about my sister in the situation she was in, the more I couldn't help but let my mind overthink.

My quickly glanced over the men. They were nothing special, simple features that would blend into a crowd. It was probably why they were so good at what they did and Enzo probably looked for men for just that reason.

People who could blend into a crowed are far more dangerous than those that stood out from it.

What I did notice though was a wedding ring on one of them, and a tattoo of a name that ran along the inside of the arm of the other.

They had family, or at least someone important to them.

I could use that.

The same way they wanted to use my own family against us.

As I stood looking at them I realised my body wasn't as ok as I had first thought. My hand that held the gun was shaking and I could've sworn that every now and again there was four of them. My eyes wouldn't focus and I rubbed my hand over my eyes trying to clear them.

Instead, all I did was rub more blood across my hand. My heartbeat sped up at the sight of it. There was no way I would be standing much longer if I was losing this much blood.

I needed to make this quick.

Firing my gun the man moved out of the way but there wasn't much need to, my aim was off. He must have noticed my struggle to keep a clear head because he grinned as he looked me up and down.

"Not so brave now are you?" There was a chuckle in his voice and I narrowed my eyes dangerously but it was no use. I couldn't see or think straight and my head was starting the throb.