Lecture Twenty-Six

Tough Situations Build Strong People.

"Kennedy." Hissed River as he looked around the carpark making sure no one was watching us.

It was a little bit to late for that if you asked me.

"Why are you trailing us?"

The two men in the front of the car looked at each other, almost unsure before the driver finally turned around to look at me once more. I looked at him expectantly, waiting for what ever half assed response he was about to tell me.

What they did next, didn't surprise me one bit.

They took off.

Not wasting a second I sprinted back over to Ezra's car grabbing his keys out of his hand. He had them already held out to me as I passed by him, a knowing grin on his face. I sent one of my own back as I gave him a wink on the way past.

Jumping into his car, I took off like a shoot turning the car on a pin, a skill my mom had taught me at thirteen. The cars tyres screamed from under me, and the smell of burning rubber hit my senses.

There was no one better at handling a car than my mom and when the best taught you, you pick up a trick or too. She had taught me everything I needed to know about handling a car.

The men had a head start but that didn't mean I wouldn't catch them. After all, I might prefer bikes over cars, but that didn't mean I didn't know how to drive.

Within seconds, I had made my way out of carpark and onto the main road. Cars were flying everywhere trying to get out of the path of the incoming SUV. It made it far easier for me to make my way past, with cars blasting their horns and flashing their lights.

Knocking the car up a gear I pushed the car even faster, making sure to take in all my surroundings.

The SUV was heading towards one of the main junctions in the City with a red light blaring our way. This was only going to end badly and I was all for pressing hard on my breaks last minute until the light turned green. As soon as I spotted the green light I had sped up my car once more chasing down the SUV.

With every second that past I was getting closer and closer. I couldn't help but let a grin cross across my face at the thrill of this little game.

A game of cat and mouse was one of my favourite games.

More so, when I was the cat.

The SUV took a hard turn to the left making me follow and soon I was quick to realise they were making their way towards the port.

They were following the main road but I knew this City better than they could ever imagine. As they kept going straight down the main road I took a sharp right turn down one of the many smaller streets that graced this City.

"Hello, kid."

The voice made me jump in my seat, with my heart throwing itself into my throat. My breath caught and it took everything in me to snap out of it and dodge the incoming car.

"What the fuck."

The voice laughed and I finally looked down at my dashboard to see a grinning Zoe looking at me. Her dark eyes brightened as she looked at me amused, seeming to think about something.

"You know, your mom used to say that to me too."

Her words made me stop and think.

The green lights.

Of course it was Zoe. Even my luck wasn't that good. Glancing down at the screen I could see that she was working away on her tablet and there was no doubt she was watching me every move.