Lecture Thirty-Three

Aim For Progress, Not Perfection

Watching the plane land I had never felt so excited and nervous at all the same time. It came to a stop a mere thirty meters away from us and I couldn't help but bounce on the balls of my feet as I thought about what awaited me.

"Look there's Reagan." Said Emilia as she tugged on the sleeve of my hoody.

Looking down at her I could see that she was both happy and sad at the same time. I couldn't blame her. She was excited to see Reagan again but in turn she was about to lose her sister for a while.

Emilia started to make her way towards Reagan as he walked down the steps and naturally I started to follow her.

"Hello little sister." Greeted Reagan as his feet touched the ground. Emilia instantly wrapped herself in our older brothers arms. You could've sworn she would never let go.

Reagan looked at me over the top of our sisters head, a knowing look in his eyes. He nodded his head in greeting, not speaking the words out loud but I got them all the same.

He was telling me to be careful.

A car could be heard pulling up and we both turned around to see dads car. He got out of the drivers side while mom got out of the passenger one. She was on her phone talking to someone, it also looked serious as she had a slight frown on her forehead. It was the middle of the day so I was surprised she was able to be here to see me off or greet Reagan at all.

Then again our parents always put us first.

"Look just deal with it, I'm busy." Moms voice was loud and clear and it even made dad look at her with a raised eyebrow.

Something told me that conversation had nothing to do with the business world.

"Not like you to lose your cool like that, mom" Greeted Reagan as he released our sister to walk over to mom who held out her arms to her oldest son.

"Sometimes they just need to deal with shit on their own."

For the first time in my life I could see that my mom was lying.

She was nervous.

It was in her small actions like how she fiddled with her phone in one hand as she gripped my brothers shirt with the other. To anyone else she would've just looked like she was giving my brother a tight hug. I on the other hand was starting to read between the lines.

Lines that I had never known where there before.

Mom released my brother and gave him a warm smile before she started to make her way over to me. Reagan went over to dad who greeted him just as warmly as mom had.

"Can I talk to your sister for a minute, Emilia."

Emilia nodded before mom even finished her sentence getting the hint loud and clear. She started to make her way over to Reagan and dad who were laughing about something.

"Make sure you have your brain switched on over there." Moms words were instant and cutting. The tone of her voice told me that what ever she was about to say she was serious about. "I won't be watching over you over there."

For the first time in my life I suddenly felt bare. I felt like I had been left open in this world that I was so used to be protected in.

"What?" It was all I could say as I tried to wrap her words around my head.

"I told you that you would be doing this yourself. You want to prove yourself? Then do it. You spent your whole life knowing that if you truly got into shit your dad or me would be able to get you out of it. Even if you didn't say it out loud yourself or know it, your subconscious did."