Lecture Twenty-Nine

Master The Art Of Observing.

As the gates opened to our home I glanced over at dad who was looking over at the guards at their posts on either side of the gates.

There was something different about the air around them. They seemed to stand a little taller as my dad looked over at them, in fact you could've sworn they had stopped breathing all together.

It's not what you think, my dads men didn't fear him. In fact it was the opposite. These men took pride in working with my dad. He looked after them the same way he left them to look after us.

It was like having a very large extended family.

"What time is your brothers football game?"

Dads question was so causal that it had surprised me. He was asking questions like he hadn't just rocked up back home again. My brothers game had completely crossed my mind and Levi had told me about it. Yet here was our dad who knew that Levi had a game tonight and he handed been home in months.

Finally the gates had opened and dad knocked the car into gear to slowly start driving towards our home.

"Nine, it starts late today for some reason."

"Good." Replied dad as he stopped the car at the front of the house. The front door opened and a rush of people came out of the house. Some of them were my fathers men, others were some of of the maids and our main butler. They had been given word about his return and it was last minute guessing from there panicked expressions. "Gives me an hour to get rid of these twats and make it in time."

"You're going?" It wasn't meant to come out so surprised after all dad always went our tournaments or games when he was home. In fact he always made a point of going to them.

He would drop anything for us if we asked him too.

Dad scoffed and looked at me like I was stupid, which made me stick out my tongue at him like the child I always was around him. He let out a deep throaty laugh that I couldn't help but grin at.

"You know you kids always come first, Princess." With that he opened the door and the second his foot touched the ground everyone rushed towards him.

"Mr Kennedy, it's great to have you home once again." Greeted Henry our main butler that was in charge of all the staff within the house.

Dad rested a hand on Henry's shoulder in greeting as he walked past. "How many times do I have to tell you Henry, Riker's fine."

"Of course, Riker."

"Layla." Greeted Henry as my dad got pulled away with the rest of his men. Henry eyed me up and down clearly taking in the state that I was in. He didn't look surprised, after all dad and Reagan have come home in some states. "Are you alright?"

There was concern there in his voice and I couldn't blame him. I probably looked like I had just dragged my ass out of the pits of hell.

It sure felt like I did.

For a second I almost forgot the pain that I was in but at the mention of it, it all came rushing back but I kept a smile on my face, not wanting to worry him. "Nothing a shower can't fix."

Henry though didn't seem to believe me. "I'll send the doctor over to your room once she's done looking over your sister."

Emilia had gotten here before us. Dad had sent Damon back to the house with Emilia after he had given the orders to wipe the rest of the men out. Emilia hadn't seen anything thankfully but I didn't fully know what those men had put her through.