Chapter Seventy-Six: No Role Models

I took a deep breath before looking at Jax, "Alright... what about Maria." 

"She hired a Private investigator to keep an eye on you... and when your new parents married and Maverick's past started to become a problem she kept a close eye on both you and on David Garcia. That's why she came after you after your dad was in the hospital... She wanted in the UK where they couldn't touch you... She does care about you Kova. But Garcia got annoyed of having his space invaded they got their hands on the P.I and wanted to know who hired him... In short... Garcia wants Maria dead." 

"Jax..." I spoke quietly trying to think.  

He reached over putting his hand on my arm, "Hey we gotta think this through, Kova. This is not time to make rash decisions that can get you killed." 

"We? There is not we Jax, I'm done... You've done too much to not forgive. There is no we, I'm going to drop you off at your house, and then I am going to figure this out." 

Jax gulped but didn't say anything. I could see the tears forming in his eyes as I drove towards his house but he never let them slip out. When I pulled up to his house his stepmom outside gardening around the virgin Mary statue. She waved before Jax walked to the door. 

Jax looked back once and watched me back out of the driveway, "Hey... Where's Jax?" Maverick asked. 

"We're over." 

Maverick gave me a confused look but I stopped, "Wait did you just call him Jax?" 

"Yeah..." 

I left it and headed back down to my room where it was empty, "Dad!" I shouted. 

He walked slowly down, "Yeah?" 

"Where is all my stuff?" 

"That's a thing you'll have to ask your mother about."

"She not my mom," I grumbled, "Where's all my stuff?" 

"We moved you back into Maverick room... For your own good actually." 

"Oh yeah? And who's bright idea was that?" 

"Mine actually," Maverick noted from across the kitchen. 

"K cool so I didn't even get a say? nothing? Don't get a say in my own house... that's great, that's amazing-" 

"I thought you'd be okay with it? I mean you have a nightmare I'm right there and Ashers across the hall-" 

"Oh and so we're all suddenly concerned about Kova's mental health now are we?" I mocked rolling my eyes, "No one seemed to care when I've been shot at now more times than I can count... Where was the care then cause I seem to remember no one caring until I started threatening everyone else wellbeing." 

"Honey we've always cared-" 

I folded my arms leaning down Clara's height sitting at the table, "Oh Yeah? No one cared when my dad decided to propose to you then spend my birthday with me... And don't call me honey, I'm not your daughter," I spun around to walk upstairs laying down in the bed. 

Everyone tried to come and talk to me but I ignored all of them, "Night Coco," Maverick said turning the light off.

I didn't say anything and waited to hear him snoring before getting up again. I changed quietly into a pair of black skinny jeans and a black sweatshirt. Grabbing the small backpack I snuck into my parent's room.

The safe's keypad glowed in the dark of the closet as I typed the code in. It made a small beep as I slowly opened it. The black handgun sat at the eye-level shelf grabbing it to make sure the safety was on.