Chapter Forty-Four: Runaway

"Jax, this looks really bad." 

I looked up at his face with his eyes clenched closed, a real tear escaped his eye. I didn't want to touch the dark bruise on the side of his ribs. I didn't know what to do. A bruise-like this could mean internal bleeding and that could lead to death, "Jax we need to go to a hospital." 

He shook his head, "No, no."

I heard a knock on the door downstairs, "Damn it," I muttered, "I'll be right back." 

I ran down opening it to see Reyes, "Finally," He muttered pushing his way in, "I was kicked out of the apartment, Kogin's parents were coming by and he-" 

"Reyes!" I shouted to get him to shut up. 

"What?!" 

Maybe Reyes could help. He might not go super overprotective mode if he says Jax was just a kid. And he knew him by Jax and not James, "When you're in the academy they teach you first aid right?" 

Confused by the question he looked up at me, "Yeah..." 

"Okay if you promise to not freak out I need to show you something and I need your help." 

"Okay, you asking about first aid and then telling me to not freak out don't go together." 

"But whatever you do... you can't tell anyone else." 

"Um." 

"Reyes... Please. This need to stay between us."

"Fine." 

"Pinky swear?" 

He locked his pinky around mine with a small grin, "Pinky swear." 

I walked back into the room and Reyes immediately got defensive, "Why is there a bloody white boy in you're room?" 

"Reyes, you can scold me later but we can't go to a hospital and I don't have the medical knowledge to fix this," Reyes was reluctant to help and I didn't blame him but, "Reyes please," I said quietly. 

He sighed dramatically, "You owe me."

I nodded, "Fine whatever just help him." 

"Oh Jesus," Reyes said looking at the wound, "That's a bad bruise." 

Reyes looked him up and down, "Hey Kova, do y'all have any elastic bandages?" 

"Uh yeah," I reach in the bin tossing on to him.

"As far as I can see he doesn't have any internal bleeding, just a really bad bruise and maybe a cracked rib. You'll have to take it easy for a few days." 

"Thanks," He nodded slowly. Reyes looked at me then left the room. 

"I need to get you back to your house before the twins come home." 

He nodded in agreement. I put my arm out to help him up, as he struggled to walk on his own, "Guess I won't be going to school," He laughed when I got in the driver seat of his truck." 

"Where are you going to school now?" 

"Charles Wright." 

"Really? You got in there?" 

"Ya know despite everything I'm not an idiot." 

"I don't think you want a response from me about that." 

He just smiled but put his hand over his side, "Ow," I pulled into the gravel driveway, "Oh my dads not here." 

"Anyone even home?"