Chapter Forty-Eight: Target

So what's in like having a family like mine? Well to be honest my family isn't just my parents and brother. That included Finn, Reeves, Eddie, Reyes, Kogin. With the adults all having the same job besides my mom... It was hard not to think about the day and age we live in where they're not just putting their lives in danger to help others, but now are being hunted down and murdered. The four officers shot a few weeks ago where the new transfer from Oregon was killed didn't hit as hard as the headline the morning before I left for school. 

My dad standing at the kitchen counter drinking his coffee scrolled through his phone, "I'm going over to Mary's after school so I'll see you a bit later," I told him grabbing my backpack. 

"Okay." 

"You're coming straight home after work right?" I asked him again. 

"Yes, baby," He sighed. 

Clara walked downstairs giving my dad a kiss, "Do you work today?" I asked her. 

"Nope!" She said excitedly, "I don't work for the next three days." 

"What're you gonna do with all your free time?" My dad asked her.

"Clean!" She grinned. 

We all gave a slightly confused look but as long as we didn't have to do it we were okay with that. My dad's phone started ringing but he looked at it confused,  "Why is Chief Best calling me?" 

"That sounds important, you better answer it." 

"Hello?" 

I've come to the conclusion that the way a woman and a man act to shock are two different things. My dad when reacting to utter shock was biting his bottom lip and looking up as he kept the phone close to his ear, "Mom," I asked. 

She just kept a concerned look at my dad, "Hang on baby," She told me. 

"Yeah, I'll be there, give me a few minutes. Thank you." 

He hung the phone up and sighed heavily, "Dad?" 

He had one too many emotions running through his body as he - not even kidding- sprinted to his room. 

I look at mom, "Maybe Eddie knows what's going on? Should we call him?" I shook my head to her. 

"No, Generally he and my dad would have the same reaction. Call Reeves." 

She nodded putting it on speakerphone, "Hello?" 

"Reeves, do you know why Kaleo would have just gotten a call from the Cheif?" 

I could hear his sigh over the phone, "Reeves what going on?" I asked. 

He paused for a minute, "Two Seattle police officers have been shot dead in their patrol vehicle 15 minutes ago. In the process, the shooter also killed a 12-year-old boy and wounded an 8-year-old. There a statewide manhunt... no one knows where the guy went."

"Do y'all have the freeways shut down?" 

"Yeah, I'm heading to work right now, they putting Tac 30 on the street for the protests. The governor refuses to bring in the National Guard." 

"God damn it." 

"Coco, listen to me... This is not something you need to worry about. Just go to school, but please either go home or go with Finn." 

"Yeah... I will," I said muttering.

"Alright be careful kitty." 

"I will bye."