Chapter Sixty-Two: Higher love

I nervously tapped the counter, "Reeves?" I finally asked. 

"Hm?" 

"Remember when I accidentally called you dad?" 

"You've done that hundreds of times kitty, you're gonna have to be more specific." 

"I mean all the times I've called you dad." 

"Yeah..." 

I caught him off guard with a tight hug, "Oh, hey kitty what's going on?" 

"I'm sorry I yelled at you. I only said your not my uncle, cause you are more like my dad." 

He pulled away for a second, "And you're like my daughter... which is exactly why I can't give up on your case. I can't let someone get away with doing that to you."

Reeves pulled me tighter. As the tears welled in my eyes, "I'm sorry," I muttered. 

"You have nothing to be sorry about kitty. Nothing." 

Just as Eddie walked in from the back yard, I hugged him, "Hey," He said quietly, "What's going on?" 

"I love you." 

"I love you too Kitty." 

Later that night my dad and I finally went home, "Hey," Mom whispered.

"Why're we whispering?" I asked. She nodded to the couch where Asher was asleep.

"Oh," I muttered. 

"I was just about to head to bed," She said with a smile. 

"Alright night baby," My dad said kissing the top of my head. 

When I laid down I was almost immediately asleep. 

But I woke up to the sound of a voiceless beat. My eyes opened looking up at fluorescent hanging lights. I looked down at the dress I wore- "Kova!" I heard the British accent. I immediately got distracted seeing Brooks screaming from where he stood. 

"Brooks!" I shouted pointing out the man with the gun behind him. 

I ran towards him but the runway seemed to never end as I never got closer, "Kova!" My dad shook me causing me to open my eyes and look around. But my left eye immediately closed again as something dripped into it.

And then I felt it. The gash on my forehead, "Ow," I muttered. 

I looked around. My dad faced me in full riot gear with his hands on my shoulders. My ribs felt like they cracked inside me putting my hand over them. I choked on blood spilling out of my lips, "Kova you've gotta wake up! Wake up, Kova!" 

I turned to threw up the blood on the cement and when I looked up at the night sky my eyes adjusted with a man under a street light holding the gun out. The shot skimming my neck. 

"KOVA WAKE-UP!" Someone shouted and I turned around to hear Eddie. But when I turned to him, my arm singed with the heat going up the side of my body. I wanted to scream but nothing came out. 

I couldn't breathe. I saw Reeves standing around surrounded by other police officers, "Reeves!" I yelled he turn hostile as everyone pointed their guns at me. 

"Hey," A voice overpowering the other finally brought me awake. I was sweating and breathing heavily, "Baby."

"D-daddy," I muttered putting my hand on his cheek and he didn't go away, "You're real."

"What do you mean course I'm-" I dropped into his arms sobbing, "I've got you, You're safe honey. I've got you." 

I gripped his arm tightly, "Dad?"