Chapter Fifty-Five: Holdback

"Hey, you want me to get you anything?" Mom asked me. 

I opened my eyes a little bit, "No, I'm fine," 

"Alright." 

"Where does dad think I am?" 

"A friend's house studying." 

"Okay, Thank you." 

"No problem honey."

She walked into the room giving me a quick hug, "Make sure your at school on time at least okay? I'll have Asher grab your backpack." 

"Okay." 

I yawned when she left looking back over at Jax still unconscious. I pushed a few hairs out of his face just as he opened his eyes, "Hey," I smiled as his eyes slowly started opening. 

"Hey," His voice soft and raspy. 

"Your gonna be okay," I smiled. 

"I know, but are you?" I nodded, "What're you still doing here? Don't you have school?"

"I didn't want to leave you alone." 

He grinned, "I wouldn't want to wake up without you," He brought my hand up to his face kissing it softly, "You should get some sleep before school." 

I yawned agreeing laying my head down on the side of the bed, "No, hey," He patted the spot next to him. Once my head hit his shoulder I was asleep almost immediately. 

* * * 

Maverick eyed me from across the lunch table, "Maverick are you just gonna keep staring at me or..." 

"Where we're you?" He finally spoke up catching the attention of the lacrosse team.

"When?" 

"Last night." 

"With a friend." 

"Huh... Really?" Finn added in. 

"Yeah really." 

"What friend?" 

"Mary." 

"Who?" Finn asked confused. 

"Wait, you don't know this girl either?" Maverick said confused. 

Finn shook his head, "Don't think I've met a Mary in my life." 

Maverick moved his head dramatically to look at me again, "Care to explain who you were really with." 

"N-" 

"Attention Students," A teacher said at the front of the cafeteria holding a microphone, "Welcome back to school," She said with content, "There are grief counselors here to guide you through your days... On another note, Prom's is officially in 3 weeks.' 

We all shook our heads, going back to our conversations. Maverick dropped the subject after Asher started talking about the rest of the season, "Hey Kova," I heard Abel behind me. 

"Hey," I said. 

"I wanted to ask you something." 

"Alright what's up?" 

"So I was snap chatting this guy I met and he sent me a photo with you in it," Abel pulled his phone out, "His names James Harding? Are y'all together?" 

I grabbed him by the arm pulling him  to the side of the hallway where no one could hear us, "Okay listen to me, James doesn't have the best of a reputation at this school, my brothers hate him and my dad wants to kill him, so yes we're together but keep your mouth shut got it?"