Chapter Fifty-Four: Doom Days

"Mom!" I shouted as I walked through the door of the ER. She looked up and grinned. 

"Thank you," She said grabbing the takeout, "I'm starving." 

"I'm still picking you up after work right?" 

"You don't have to honey, I don't get off till 1 am." 

"I'm up anyway." 

"It's a school night hun, you should go to bed early." 

"Mom, I'm fine." 

"Do you know I still get goosebumps when you call me mom?"

"Yeah calling you Clara just doesn't sit right with me anymore. So Mom it is." 

She smiled laughing a bit, "And calling you my stepdaughter doesn't sit right either, therefore, you're my baby girl. Did you wanna hang out for a bit? We're pretty quiet tonight," She reached over knocking on the wood counter, "Hopefully." 

"Sure," I sat down in the chair behind the desk. Mom opened her food and grabbed the chopsticks, "Looks good," I said peeking over. 

"Want some?" 

I nodded. She grabbed a piece of teriyaki, "AW," I chopped down on the meat just as the ER door opened, "Damn that is good." 

Mom looked up sighing at the person looking at us, "Eric, you know you're not supposed to be here unless you're hurt or sick." 

"Come on I just need one pill." 

"Sorry sweetheart, you know I can't do that." 

The younger looking guy scratched anxiously at his arm, "Please."

My mom sighed, "You might wanna leave before-" 

"HEY!" Hospital security came running down the hall. 

"AH!" The man took off running. 

"What was that?" I asked.

"Eric Sharpe, he graduated 3 years ago... He's an addict. Quite sad honestly. His families very rich just goes to show you, addiction doesn't pick a social class." 

"Hm." 

Just as she finished up, a report popped up on her computer, "Oh, wonderful," She muttered. 

"What?" 

"A man on heroin is being brought in for... Self-inflicted injury. Gotta love this state's drug problem," She sighed annoyed but got ready anyway.

My phone started ringing, "Oh, Mary's calling me I'll be right back," I said. 

Just as I walked out the door a man was rolled through the door blood spilling from his stomach. The blood wasn't what made me want to throw up, the fact that the man looked like a golem did, "Ew," I muttered as I took the call, "Hey," I said a little grossed out still learning agasit the mustang. 

"Whatcha doing?" 

"I'm at the hospital." 

"What?!" 

"Oh," I laughed a little forgetting I wasn't talking to my family, "I brought dinner to my mom and now I'm just kinda vibing." 

"Jesus christ don't scare me like that Kov," 

"Sorry," I laughed a little. 

"Hey, do I get to see you tonight?"

"Uh, maybe I'll let you know when I leave the hospital." 

"Alright Love you."

"Love you too, be safe." 

I hung the phone up walking back inside where mom just shook her head, "Ugh," She muttered sitting down.