Chapter Nine: The islands

"Aloha and welcome to beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii. Can I get you folks checked in?" An overly happy and excited woman standing behind the counter at the Hilton checked the reservation and handed over key cards.

"Alright, we've got two rooms, one with one bed and the other with two beds, there right next to each other so, keep the door between us unlocked," My dad handed all of us a key then hands the last to Clara. 

"You've got 15 minutes before we meet back down here for lunch." 

"It's 10:30 in the morning." 

"Brunch," He corrected rolling his eyes at me. 

Maverick slipped the card in the door as Asher pushed me jumping on the bed and Maverick taking the other one, "Aye no, you two sleep in the same bed," I countered trying to shove Asher. 

"No. Take the floor." 

"I'm not sleeping on the floor." 

"Then sleep on the deck." 

"One of y'all is gonna have to move." 

"Sleep. On. The. Floor." 

"Lumineers?" 

Maverick sat up giving me a dirty look and then falling face-first back down. I shook my head grabbing the suitcase and putting it down on the foot of Maverick's bed, "Hey, My bed!" 

"Maverick, I'm grabbing my swimsuit and a change of clothes, Relax." 

Closing the bathroom door I put on the Black suit but couldn't get the ties behind me tight. I rolled my eyes and put the shorts on, "Asher." 

"What?"  

"Can you tie this?" I asked holding the strings tight back. 

"Sure," He grabbed the two string, "How do I tie this? Like in a bow or double knot it?" 

"Just a bow. Like a shoelace." 

I put the white tank top with a sunflower and a twisty stem that went up my back, "Y'all ready to go?" My dad asked opening the adjoining door. We all nodded. 

Getting in the back of the rented Jeep Rubicon, My dad already took the top of it off, letting for a very windy ride up to the North Shore. I forgot what it was like to have the salty sea air, the sunshine, the wind, the greenery. Even though I was just here during November, I missed it. Hawaii was my happy place, and quite frankly I'm surprised my dad hasn't moved here. 

A gravel road with grass taller than the Jeep led to the house on the water. It was quite a normal house but was plastered with old surfboards, driftwood, and all sorts of chimes. My dad didn't even knock just opened the door, "Auntie," He called out. 

A woman in a muumuu walked into the living room area, "Aloha!" She yelled happy to see my dad as Clara and the twins stepped in behind me, "Ua manaʻo wau ʻaʻole ʻoe i hiki i ka lā ʻapōpō." 

"No we came today," My dad responded in English laughing. 

"Well my, let me look at you darling," She smiled putting her hands on my dad's cheeks, "You got fat," My dad rolled his eyes, "Don't roll your eyes at me boy," She said slapping his cheek. She looked at me and smile, "Kova-Koa, darling you look so much better!" She smiled considering the last time she saw me I was pretty pale and skinny and had gotten out of the hospital not even 12 hours before. 

"Auntie, this is my wife Clara, and her two sons Maverick and Asher," My dad introduced. 

"Welcome to the Ohana," Auntie smiled greeting Clara.