Chapter Thirty-Six: Remember when we were kids?

"Yeah, I don't think we will ever be doing that," The group of boys laughed, "Aye Kaleo!" 

The 15-year-old boy looked up from where he played with another little boy and his toy trucks on Aunties Property, "What?" 

"You pay attention more to my little brother than I do," Akoni laughed. 

"What can I say? Kids just like me." 

"Yeah come tell me that again when you have kids." 

"Yeah, I won't be doing that." 

"Doing what?" 

"Having kids..." 

Akoni straightened up, "You don't want kids?" 

"No. I mean I don't plan on." 

"You don't wanna raise a kid?" 

"No. I don't think I'd make a good dad. My boy would hate me." 

"Ya know you don't get to chose if you have a boy right?" 

"True... But I can't see me having a little girl either." 

"Why not?" 

"Akoni I just don't. Man, I don't even have my driver's license yet... I'm not worried about something that's not gonna happen for another 10 maybe 20 years." 

"You need to look more in you're future. Though I would love to see if and when you have kids, If you have a daughter... I wanna see that shit show." 

"Oh haha laugh it up Akoni, I would protect that kid with my life." 

"SEE!" Akoni yelled. 

"What?!" 

"You want kids!" 

"No, I don't. Shut up and stop confusing me." 

"Oh my god... It's beautiful." Maverick grinned. 

"Asher, I'm guessing you want the 4Runner?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I can't drive stick so..." He snatched the keys out of my hand. 

"You can start her up ya know," I told Maverick. 

He took the keys for the '68 Bronco and revved the V8 engine, "I love it." 

My dad walked over grinning, "Yeah this thing was my grandpas... he bought it brand new. And like Kova and the 4Runner, I grew up in this thing... Kova's car seat sat right here in the middle. It was only one with seatbelts." 

"I love it." 

Later that night Mom shift wasn't up till 3 am and laid next to my dad in the big bed staring at the ceiling, "How are things looking on the Allen front... anything new on the case?" 

"They've officially connected him to a cartel in Seattle. All of his cases are being reviewed and yours could quickly be terminated... but that doesn't mean your mother won't-" 

"She not my mom." 

"That doesn't mean Maria won't try another case against us." 

"She won't win." 

"I know. We're not gonna lose you this time." 

We stayed quiet for a moment, "Hey daddy?" 

"Uh oh... What's wrong?" 

"Where do you think we'd be right now if you'd never met Clara?" 

"I..." He thought for a minute, "I don't know, that was such a long time ago I wouldn't know where to start."