Chapter Fifty: The weighted

"Hey, I need you to go find me Asher Barrington down at the checkout," Reeves told another officer. He nodded and walked towards the crowd of students. A crowd of parents waiting to pick up their kids also gathered behind a police barricade. 

I still sat on the back of the ambulance Reeves keeping both arms around me, "Coco," I finally heard Asher's voice, I barely lifted my head to look at him, "Come here you reckless maniac," I stood up hugging Asher tightly as tear still clouded my eyes. I heard a car door slam loudly as someone running over. 

Someone wrapped their arms tightly around both Asher and me, "I'm so glad you're both okay," My dad muttered.

* * * 

I still laid awake around 3 am just staring off into space. Well more like I was watching Maverick sleep across from me. My phone sat on my nightstand still buzzing with people checking up on me. No one had been killed luckily but that still couldn't help me thinking about what would have happened. Nothing happened... but the sheer fact of what could have happened gripped my soul. 

Finally, I stood up and walked to my parent's room, "Dad?" I asked from the door. He woke immediately.

"Hey baby, you okay?" 

"I can't sleep." 

He grabbed his phone. Siting up he rubbed his eyes before grabbing a sweatshirt and his keys, "W-Where we going?" 

"This is how I use to get you to sleep when you were a baby," He said grabbing my hand. I put on a slip-on pair of vans, "Here," He wrapped the blanket around my shoulder and walked towards the truck. 

He pulled onto the road heading towards the freeway, "Where are we going?" I asked again. 

"You'd have these sleepless nights as a kid, and all I would have to do was put you in you're car seat and drive around for like 20 or so minutes till you fell asleep." 

He came to the on-ramp of the dead freeway, "You're okay though right?"

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean... Reeves told me everything that happened... You threw up. You never throw up. You haven't thrown up since you we're a kid." 

"I don't know I just felt nauseous. Is this what it feels like to be you every day?" 

"Hm?" 

"I mean, getting up and you're faced with this uncontrollable day ahead of you-" 

"Kova, you're always in control of your own day." 

"Lately it doesn't feel like it." 

"Kova... when I walk out that door every morning... I know no matter what people say... I'm going to help people, I'm there to save people... help them out of their darkest times. Even though I don't physically get anything back... the fact that I get to go out and save lives every day is enough. Same with your mom. She saves lives all day long. We never get anything physically in return but we are okay with that. Just like you Coco, you chose to get out of the car and save Kogin. You're reward? Nothing really. But Kogin is alive... it's just one less funeral we have to go to." 

I sighed. The man was right... as always. 

He reached over grabbing my hand, "You know you can tell me anything right? Despite what you think my reaction might be?" I nodded, "There anything you want to tell me then?" 

Oh damn. 

"No," I lied. 

"Alright." 

* * *

"I've gotta work baby I'll see you when I get home around 6:30." 

I nodded still half asleep, "Bye daddy," I whispered.