Chapter Twenty-Three: A hopeful undertone

"Brooks, can I borrow your phone I left mine inside." 

"Yeah what do you need it for?" 

"I wanna call my dad." 

I quickly dial the number already on his phone but it went to immediate voicemail, "Huh." 

"What?" 

"Normally he picks up." 

I tried Clara's number instead and when the facetime was answered I couldn't help but smile a bit on the inside, "Daddy?" 

"Kova, Baby I was so worried about you." 

I finally and completely broke down, "I wanna come home. Please. I wanna go home daddy." 

He sniffed and wiped away a few tears, "I'm trying baby, I really am okay? I'm gonna get you home." 

"Please hurry." 

"I'm gonna do everything in my power to get you home okay?" 

"Okay." 

"Alright I love you baby." 

"I love you too." 

I hung the phone up handing it back to Brooks, "You gonna be okay?" 

"Yeah," I muttered quietly. 

Well I thought I was. Cause later that night, after I'd fallen asleep, my own screaming woke me up. I looked immediately to my left to see if I'd woken Maverick up but then only saw the chair and vanity. I hadn't woken up anyone. 

I grabbed my phone that Brooks had gone back inside and grabbed for me. It was 2:04 am but 10:04 am on a Friday at home. 

Third POV

Kaleo's phone started ringing on the coffee table as he wiped the chip dust on his sweatpants before picking it up, "Hey Coco, Why're you up right now?" 

"I... I can't sleep?" 

"Really? Cause it sounds like you just work up muchkin."

"I had a nightmare." 

"About earlier today?" 

"Yeah..." She said sighing. 

Clara came down the stairs, "Kaleo we need to go shopping before the game tonight. The boys have eaten this house out of food- Oh hey, Kova." 

"Hi Mom." 

"What're you doing up?" 

"She had a nightmare," Kaleo told him.

"Ah, You okay sweetheart?" 

"Yeah," She muttered, "I think I'm actually gonna back to sleep." 

"Oh okay. Sleep well Coco, Love you," Clara smiled. 

"Love you too," She gave a half smile before hanging up. 

"I'm guessing you didn't tell her?"

"No, not right now. I'm glad Seattles Problems are not worldwide broadcasts." 

"Promise me you'll tell her at least a day before you go back to work."

"I promise," Kaleo sighed. 

"Alright." 

Maverick tossed the keys in his hand on the lanyard walking towards the Car. To focussed on the second game without the third member of his attack trio, to see the black spray paint all over his white Jeep. 

"What the fuck?" He muttered looking around. He touched the paint, it was still wet meaning it was just done. He looked around at the kids hanging around there cars. He stepped back seeing what it said. "ACAB" Was painted on the hood of the car. BLM in smaller letters throughout it. Pig and Fuck 12 were written on the sides. Racist was on the back plastic window.