Chapter Ten: Guardian Angels

Now back from the islands, everyone was happy. My dad and Clara seemed extra happy while Asher and Maverick were getting along with me. And yet again everything was good. I mean this is okay, right? Everyone is happy and our villains are in jail. 

The story should be over right? 

Right? 

No... we're just beginning. 

"Asher! You've got some mail!" I shouted after grabbing the stack left in our mailbox. I put most of it down looking at the two envelopes for Asher. One was from the University Of Washinton and the other University of Puget Sound.

"What is it?" Clara asked before Asher came down the steps. 

"Um, mail from two colleges." She stood up drastically walking over. 

"Asher!!" She yelled louder. 

He came down finally, "What?" 

She held up the two letters and he ran down followed my Maverick and my dad, "What's going on?" Maverick asked. 

Asher grabbed the two letters opening the UDub one, "I'm in," He said quietly. 

"What?" 

"I was accepted!" He shouted. He hugged his mom than me. 

"Don't forget to open the other one," I warned. 

"This was the college I really wanted to go to," Asher smiled opening the UPS one. Another grin formed on his face, "IM IN TO BOTH!" 

Maverick seemed to disappear into the madness and celebration as we all smiled, "Now which are you commiting to?" My dad asked. 

"UPS, obviously." 

With both Clara and My dad reading the letters with Asher, I walked upstairs to find Maverick. pushing the door open slightly, I saw Maverick sitting on the edge of his bed staring down at a crinkled photo, "Mavi?" He looked up with red teary eyes, "What's wrong?" I asked quietly sitting down next to him. I looked down at the photo of him and Asher with Clara and the person I could only assume was their dad. The boys were maybe 9 or 10.

"What am I supposed to do now?" He shrugged.

"What do you mean?" 

"Asher's going to college, and you'll be going to college, and I don't know what to do. I don't even know what I'm going to do with my life. I'm 18, and I haven't even applied to colleges yet. But my grades are nowhere near college level." 

"Mavi, you don't have to go to college." 

"It's not that... I don't want to grow up. I don't want a wife and kids, I don't want some boring 9 to 5 job I hate. Everyone growing up and they're excited about leaving and going... but I want to stay right here. It's always been me and Asher, now it's you me and Asher, but I feel like I've become the third wheel." 

"Mave... Everyone has to grow up, but you're never gonna lose me and Asher. We can be in our 90s sitting on a porch somewhere in the midwest, making fun of each other for things we did as teenagers." 

"Kova, I don't even know what I'm going to with my life." 

I sighed a bit, "You know when my dad had me... he was 16. He thought that his normal teenage life was over. But no, he holds records at that school for the football team his junior and senior year. He graduated on time. He- Honestly just chilled for two years, before going to the Police Academy. Now he's 33, he still young enough to get IDed. Now I'm not saying having a kid cause I will not be becoming an Aunt this early. But... the worlds yours, Make of it what you will. I mean you've seen my dad, he's the biggest child you'll ever meet. But Mave, I'm scared to grow up too but we're gonna do this together... You, me, and Asher," I heard the floorboards creak behind me as I looked to see my dad smiling leaning against the doorjamb, "How long have you been standing there?"