- thirty eight -

Aria Rowen

The rest of winter break went by miserably slow. I spent each day in my room, going over everything that had happened in the past week.

While I couldn't wait to get back to school to take my mind off of things, I also knew that I would have to see him there.

I walked into potions, glancing only at the floor as I made my way towards the back of the room. I didn't look at Draco as I passed his desk and took the seat that Slughorn had assigned me last semester next to Carrow.

"Morning, Rowen."

"Carrow..." I set my books in front of me, not even sparing the boy a second glance.

"Things still a bit on the rough edge between you and Malfoy?"

"Why would you care?"

"Well, Draco certainly doesn't. Don't you think he would've tried to fix things— oh wait. He did try. You were the one who won't let him 'explain' things—"

I shot him a glare, making him immediately shut up. I didn't want to talk to him. I loathed the fact that it was Luke who told me about the dare... and not Draco.

The fact that Draco wouldn't have told me at all made me hate him even more— but I didn't need him. I was just fine on my own.

"You remember that Cecile girl?"

"What about her?"

"Well, I ended things with her... she was getting boring— and now she's going to be attending school here full time, rather than a few classes a week. Fun, right?" Luke gave a low chuckle as he spoke.

"What's that got to do with me?"

He sighed before continuing to speak. "If you must know, I heard her talking to Pansy. She seems to have a... thing... for Malfoy— whatever she sees in him," Luke scoffed and pulled his book forward, flipping through the pages.

"Cecile can have him," I gave a fake smile and opened my textbook as well. "I don't give a fuck who he dates."

"So you don't care that she's next to him now?"

My gaze immediately shot upwards as I looked over at his desk, and the girl was indeed sitting beside him, laughing at whatever he said as she placed a hand on his arm.

Something came over me, and I refused to call it jealousy.

"Would you look at that..." I felt Carrow lean closer to me as he stared at the pair over my shoulder.

I shook all thoughts out of my head, snapping my attention back to my book. "I don't care."

"Sure you don't."

"I don't. I swear."

"Keep telling yourself that..."

•••

"Aria— wait up!"

I turned around at the sound of a familiar voice as I walked down the corridor. It was Jenna.

"I haven't seen you in weeks... how was your break?"

All I could do was stare at her before speaking as I tried not to cry. "Did you know too?" I have a small shrug of my shoulders, watching as confusion came to her features.

"Know about what?"

"Forget about it..." I gave a fake smile and turned around, continuing on my way back to my dorm.