- forty -

Aria Rowen

"So—" Jenna burst into my room, catching me off guard as I sat at my desk. "There's a big house party tonight in the Slytherin common room. You going?"

"I don't know... I don't think I want to see Dylan or Indy quite yet."

"You have to see them eventually. You'll never get to see their side of the story unless you give them a chance to talk," Jenna flopped onto my bed, spreading her arms out against the pillows as she threw her textbooks down.

By now I'd filled Jenna in on what happened over the break, from finding out about the dare to Draco showing up at my house. She was livid to think that he would stoop so low to do something as cruel as what he'd done, but I'd assured her that I was alright and that I was just fine without him.

In all honesty— I hadn't even convinced myself that I was fine. I wasn't, but if that's what I needed to tell Jenna for her to calm down, then that's exactly what I would tell her.

"—In fact... Aidan told me all about your little plan. You two should definitely go together."

I rolled my eyes and went back to studying. "It's not a plan. It's just us being friends."

"If that's what you wanna call it."

"Jenna, I'm serious!"

She laughed as she watched me turn around and shoot her a glare. "Sure you are."

I rolled my eyes once more. "Are you going to the party?"

"Yeah— I'll probably go with Emery."

I couldn't help but give a small smile. They were good for each other, so therefore I fully supported their relationship.

A quiet knock sounded at the door, making Jenna sit up on my bed as I turned to face the door.

Not many people came to my room— especially not this late. Usually it was either Jenna or Draco.

I took a deep breath before standing up and slowly making my way over to the door. I set my hand on the handle and pulled it open, sighing in relief when I saw that it was just Aidan.

As much as we hung out, Aidan had never actually been into my room. He would always wait for me outside of the Hufflepuff common room. The only guy who had been into my room recently was Draco.

"Hey."

"Evening..." He peered behind me and gave a nod of his head when he saw Jenna sitting on my bed. "Mind if I speak to you for a minute?"

"Yeah, sure," I awkwardly looked back at my friend, and she took the hint by gathering her things and standing up.

"I'll see you tomorrow... at the party?"

I rolled my eyes at her and ushered her out, just as Aidan stepped in. I shut the door behind Jenna before turning to face him.

"Actually— that's what I came to talk to you about."

"About the party?"

"Yeah... would you maybe wanna go with me? I'm sure Malfoy would be there..." He raised his eyebrows and sent me a sly smirk, making me cringe slightly.