KABANATA 15:

Defensive

"Pack up na tayo, that was enough. I know you can do it." Prof Ran said habang inaayos na ang mga gamit niya.

Bukas na ang laban kaya nagkaroon pa kami ng huling study session. Hapon pa naman ang laban kaya maraming oras pa ang pahinga.

I looked at the wall clock inside our hotel suite. Nine o'clock, we're earlier than usual. Usually we end our sessions by eleven sometimes twelve.

We occupied a three-room suite in one of the most famous five-star hotel here in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu. Isa ay akin, and I don't even know who will use the other two rooms.

I don't even know if how many professors are with us.

Pagkalabas ni prof Ran ay napa-inat ako ng mga braso. I feel exhausted but not yet sleepy.

I laid on my bed and tried counting sheeps.

"Useless." I mumbled. I got out of bed, out of my room and went to the veranda.

I hugged my self when the cold breeze suddenly blew. It's cold but I don't mind.

The city lights are mesmerizing. I can see the port and some ships come and go. Still a lot of vehicles are still out and energized to give rides to people who are still trying to catch rides to take them home this late and to some people who are just out to have fun.

The Queen City of the South is such a beauty.

I closed my eyes to feel the breeze.

"Miss Abadiano you're up in fifteen minutes." Prof De Vera woke me up.

I often sleep before every competition, so that my mind can relax for a bit before an exhausting thinking, that way my brain functions well.

I nod at her.

"And to defend their name here is Sklodowska International University's golden crane, the Filipino pride prodigy, miss Secret Abadiano!" The host announced and the crowd clapped slowly, elegantly.

Most of them are deep-pocketed, lahat pa nga yata sila.

I went out off the red curtains and straight to the stage. I stand behind the podium. I looked at the two girls in uniform, behind the other podium, I will be competing against them.

My forehead creased. Nasaan ang partner ko?

"Sklodowska will compete individually. But they can't be disqualified, mister Khib Ramirez is her partner who took on Atliticus Academy earlier. They are currently leading the scoreboard. They just see this one-versus-two fight exciting!" The host answered as if reading my mind.

The crowd clapped again. I forced myself not to roll my eyes.

For heaven sake! Bakit ang aarte nila pumalakpak?!

I looked at the crowd in front of me. Most of them are high profiled, paparazzis were even present. This is a huge event indeed.

Business men and politicians are also present. Ang iba kasi ay mga pakitang gilas, nagdo-donate kunwari sa mananalo na school. Pampabango ng pangalan.

"Just like always, the rules are simple. Be the first one to hit the buzzer and answer correctly to gain a point. You can steal if the opposing team will deliver a wrong answer and if they lost the five seconds count." The host explained the mechanics.

I am more than ready for this. Sa dami na ng nasalihan ko, alam na alam ko na kung pa'no gawin 'to.

From what I heard. We will be competing with some prestigious schools from our country and some Asian countries too, like Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Singapore and China.